"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cook's Tools
Click Here to Login

Old 02-10-2019, 10:44 PM   #1
Chef Extraordinaire

Recommendation for a really big saute/frying pan

I'm looking for a recommendation for a really large (like 14" across or bigger) and preferrably somewhat deep saute pan.

Not like a wok, but a large pan with sides.

I looked into the All Clad 14", but they have some reviews about warping.

Cast iron isn't an option due to it's weight, but other metals are ok.

Does anyone use or have a particularly favorite large frying pan?

buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 11:08 PM   #2
Senior Cook

The largest that I have is a five qt. 12" Cuisinart sauté pan, which heats evenly, and no warping, so far. I switched to that (because it is induction capable) from a very old Calphalon 12" sauté pan, also five qt., which probably got more use than any other pan on my wall, except for woks. Still doing well in a friend's kitchen! I do have one of those 16" CI pans, but, as you noted, it is incredibly heavy, so it is collecting dust in my basement!

Old 02-10-2019, 11:14 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

I received a very large one made by Cuisinart. The total cost was just over $55.00 which included shipping. That was about five or more years ago. The price may have gone up a bit more since then.

I love that pan. I used it to make a very large frittata for a party. There was a little left over and my grandson came down and ate the rest of it cold. Then asked me to make another one just for him. I was happy to do it for him. The pan has a very good helper handle on the other side. I comes with a cover. I used that cover to flip the frittata. Perfect! I love it. I will often fill it with water and cook pasta in it. The pasta seems to cook much faster in that pan.

My saucepan is a draining pan with straining holes in the lid. And it too is a Cuisinart. I am very happy with Cuisinart. And I still have both arms and one leg. Come summertime, I will be ordering a smaller Cuisinart saucepan. It is part of making my kitchen safer to work in.
Old 02-10-2019, 11:49 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Lol, look at yous...

Addie, how big is the pan across? How deep are the sides?

My wife loves Cuisinart stuff, so that may be the ticket. She has terrible carpal tunnel syndrome in both wrists, and something called De Quervain's tenosynovitis, so heavy pans are not something to be considered..

However, she is the destroyer of all non-stick pans (I wish I could Trademark that account of her) and has recently discovered my vintage Tramontina 14" deep saute pan, and now uses it all the time.

I fear it's life is short, so I'm looking for a replacement, or sacrificial substitute if I can secret away my original pan before it has met its maker.

She mentioned an interest in a large, all stainless steel pan. One can only hope.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 12:10 AM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

I like my 12", 5 quart one from my Anolon set I bought a few years after we moved here. It is just now showing wear in spite of being non-stick. Sadly, I don't see one just like it from Anolon anymore. I do remember Steve Kroll mentioning a 12" pan he had bought a few years ago, and that he was happy with his new Calphalon Classic Nonstick 12" It's deep and has a helper handle.

The only bigger pans I found on BedBugs&Beyond were 13". I'm guessing you won't find any 14" that aren't cast iron, since standard stovetop burners tend to be no larger than 12".
Old 02-11-2019, 07:48 AM   #6
Head Chef

I have the pan for you, but unfortunately Calphalon no longer makes it. They called it a 16" paella pan, and it's essentially a skillet with two helper handles. It's not the thin pan that's commonly called a paella pan. I also have an All-Clad 13" tri-ply paella pan, which is also a skillet with two helper handles. I bought it two years ago during their factory seconds sale, but it looks like it's also discontinued. You might want to search for paella pans. I've seen large carbon steel and tri-ply pans listed, but don't have any experience with them.
tenspeed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 08:11 AM   #7
Senior Cook

Bucky, I don't know about your computer, but I am now seeing ads for T-Fal on this page. Are they trying to tell you something? lol here I am - here I am - come and get me lol
cookieee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 09:43 AM   #8
Master Chef

The big All Clad is exactly what you are looking for. Very large with maybe 3 or 4 inch sides.

Ive had mine for 20 years and zero warping or any issue whatsoever. Bought a cosmetic second from Cookware and More.
Old 02-11-2019, 11:04 AM   #9
Head Chef

All Clad sells factory seconds through homeandcooksales.com. I've picked up a few pieces, and I can't tell what is wrong with them. They have a sale every other month or so. I'm on their email list, which I think I signed up through All Clad's site.
tenspeed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 01:18 PM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

Bucky check out:

Hackensack Supply Co
Restaurant supply store in Paramus, New Jersey

Address: 545 NJ-17, Paramus, NJ 07652

Hours: Open ⋅ Closes 5PM
Monday
8AM–5PM
Tuesday
8AM–5PM
Wednesday
8AM–5PM
Thursday
8AM–5PM
Friday
8AM–5PM
Saturday
Closed
Sunday
Closed

Phone: (201) 652-2500

I bought a nice big pan with lid there (many years ago) that I loved. It has since been packed away during some repairs in kitchen. It is in a "safe place", so safe I can't find it!

msmofet is offline   Reply With Quote