Recommended Stainless Steel Mandoline Slicer?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CookNow

Cook
I've grown weary of our white plastic OXO V-blade mandoline. Don't get me wrong; it works okay, but between the discoloration/staining and obvious wear to the main platform that food slides across, I'd rather have something more robust. Seems like Bron and De Buyer have some decent looking traditional models, and I'm curious as to how others like them.

I can't say I'd prefer a V-blade design over the straight or angled blades, and for what it's worth I don't really use a mandoline for cutting tomatoes very often; my chef knives are sufficient for that function.

Any recommendations for a stainless steel mandoline would be most welcome.

Yep, we have that handy dandy box with ours also Andy. I guess they don't include that anymore. Yours is stainless with white plastic plates instead of black?

On mine, the three cutting plates, the cutting platform and the safety handle are white plastic. The plastic box bottom is grey, the lid is clear.

How are the V-Blades to sharpen as opposed to a straight blade?

I guess it isn't much more then reversing the set up.

A Mandoline is on my wish list so any advice on V-blade vs. Straight blade is welcome.:chef:

Kayelle, the plastic "Borner V-Power V7000" gets a lot of rave reviews, so perhaps its stainless brother V6 is the way to go for me.

I don't think you'd be sorry with that choice CN. I completely agree and understand why you want to step up, as I was of the same mind. The old inexpensive one did the job but this just feels like quality.

How are the V-Blades to sharpen as opposed to a straight blade?

I guess it isn't much more then reversing the set up.

A Mandoline is on my wish list so any advice on V-blade vs. Straight blade is welcome.:chef:

Why would you think it would ever need sharpening? The blade doesn't get the abuse a knife gets and in all the years I've used one, it's never gone dull on me. They are a wonderful kitchen tool to be sure.

I have a Borner and I'm very happy with it. The only thing that I find disappointing is the size of the largest "julienne". It makes sticks that are a bit small for French fries. I would love to have an extra plate for that.

It is easy enough to use that Stirling, who used to like using a machine for slicing cabbage for rødkål (Danish red cabbage) prefers it to the machine.

Last edited:
I have read that a cut resistant or kevlar glove is recommended for use with mandolines. How well are your hands protected with the Borner? C and M sells a glove for $15, which might be worthwhile.

We have a SS mandolin we purchased 20+ years ago. I don't recall the brand name (pretty sure it was French), but it came with several attachment blades for different cuts and was very expensive.

I have read that a cut resistant or kevlar glove is recommended for use with mandolines. How well are your hands protected with the Borner? C and M sells a glove for $15, which might be worthwhile.

If you use the food safety holder, it's perfectly safe. If you use your hand to hold the veggie while slicing, then a glove is a great idea.

If you use the food safety holder, it's perfectly safe. If you use your hand to hold the veggie while slicing, then a glove is a great idea.
I agree. We have the glove too. You can use it for other stuff, like holding vegis when you are chopping them with a chef's knife when you have started on the wine. :ermm: :LOL:

I really like my kevlar glove too. I find it easier to use than the guard that came with my mandolines. You're not left with a big nub of uncut stuff.

I have a little white plastic mandy with interchangeable blades that I've had for eons, and a mostly stainless steel Oxo one that can perform all sorts of tricks.

Last edited:
I really like my kevlar glove too. I find it easier to use than the guard that came with my mandolines. You're not left with a big nub of uncut stuff.

I should get one, especially now that it's almost summer and I'm making cole slaw more often. I have a bad habit sometimes of very carefully pushing that nub across the blade with bare fingers :ermm:

I should get one, especially now that it's almost summer and I'm making cole slaw more often. I have a bad habit sometimes of very carefully pushing that nub across the blade with bare fingers :ermm:

Heh. GotGarlic-flavored cole slaw!

I got mine from Amazon for about $12.

Sounds like a five (intact) fingers up endorsement for a kevlar glove :chef:
I have an old cheapie plastic mandoline that is rarely used, as it doesn't slice easily, and it seems to be entirely too easy to hurt myself. I keep thinking about getting something better that will be less likely to send me to the emergency room.

I use the pusher thingee and then I put the glove on for the little nubs of uncut stuff.

I don't use the pusher thingee for cabbage.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom