"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cook's Tools

Old 01-28-2011, 04:56 PM   #1
Cupcake

Recycling 12 Bottle Spice Rack To Hold 36 (54) Spices

First, understand that I am not a crafty person but I am a problem-solver! Between Frank and I, we had a spice problem in that our spices were cluttered and all over the place. My spices were by the stove. His were in a bin. Our kitchen is quite small so space is limited.

I had an old spice rack that held 12 unusable spices. I say they were unusable because the bottles would not hold a newly purchased container of spices nor could one really retrieve spices that were inside of the small bottles easily. In looking at new spice racks, I could not find any that really appealed or would even come close to holding our spices.

Using the old spice rack frame, and purchasing 52 small food grade tins, I now have a spice rack that holds 36 spices and stacks another 16 for a total of 52 spices! (Pinch me!) Plus, we can actually SEE what we have. Maybe we will not end up with three jars of crushed red pepper again.

For before and after pictures, I created an album called Spice Project. Here is the finished product. Keep in mind that it all fits behind the kitchen door too and completely freed up much needed space in one of my cabinets! And it cost us less than $50 bucks. YAY!

We may add a small bin-like shelf beneath to hold extracts and such, if needed. Not sure whether we want that yet. :)

Old 01-28-2011, 06:59 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Maybe not crafty, but definitely very clever. Nice job, especially hiding it all behind the door.

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 07:21 PM   #3
Cupcake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhizara View Post
Maybe not crafty, but definitely very clever. Nice job, especially hiding it all behind the door.

Thanks! I love that I can see all of the labels at a glance. In putting this together, we found 3 jars of crushed red pepper, two jars of mint, two jars of oregano, and found we did not need to get powdered onion. It was a fun project to do - especially since we got a cleaned out space in a cabinet.
Old 01-29-2011, 12:00 AM   #4
Certifiable Executive Chef

Site Administrator

That's really clever - I love the cans! It looks sculptural and practical as well.
:)
Old 01-29-2011, 12:03 AM   #5
Cupcake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet H View Post
That's really clever - I love the cans! It looks sculptural and practical as well.
:)
Thanks! I wanted them all to fit within the rack, but someone's grilling spices put me over that limit.

I definitely plan to place a small shelf-like bin beneath the rack, so the extras may end up there along with extracts, etc.

~Kathleen
Old 01-29-2011, 12:14 AM   #6
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Excellent! I keep thinking I'm going to revamp my pantry, but we are planning on moving in the spring to larger digs. Would be silly for me to do it now...especially since I have holes to patch from all the redos I've done over the years.
Old 01-29-2011, 12:30 AM   #7
Cupcake

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Excellent! I keep thinking I'm going to revamp my pantry, but we are planning on moving in the spring to larger digs. Would be silly for me to do it now...especially since I have holes to patch from all the redos I've done over the years.
We still need to revamp the pantry. Unfortunately we seem to have irreconcilable differences regarding our philosophy of pantry organization. (The one with the Y c'some wastes valuable space.)
Old 01-29-2011, 12:36 AM   #8
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathleenA View Post
We still need to revamp the pantry. Unfortunately we seem to have irreconcilable differences regarding our philosophy of pantry organization. (The one with the Y c'some wastes valuable space.)
Can't see around corners...or above/below eye level.
Old 01-29-2011, 01:46 AM   #9
Cupcake

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Can't see around corners...or above/below eye level.

That is one of the reasons I needed that lower cabinet!
Old 01-29-2011, 06:15 AM   #10
Head Chef

I have tried spice racks, but I keep returning to a dedicated spice drawer. The bottles are on their sides, labels up, and I don't have any trouble finding them. I have little baskets in the drawer to keep them from rolling around, and I suppose if I was more organized (like that is going to happen any time soon) they would be sorted by type or alphabetized.

Tags
spices