"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cook's Tools

Old 04-04-2016, 03:08 PM   #11
Wine Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roll_Bones View Post
If you have no grid power and swear off modern appliances, how do you justify your ability to get on the internet.
After all, you had to type this post and send it.
He gave his answer on another thread. The link to his website is below. I think it's well done and interesting myself. I don't see why he has to justify anything. I had a great uncle who chose to live pretty much the same way. He lived in a remote cabin on the Wisconsin river until his death in the early 1980s.

The Rugged Dude

Old 04-04-2016, 03:48 PM   #12
Head Chef

The two 'passed down' items I use the most are.
1) My grandmother , from my fathers side's Rolling pin. That being said, its a piece of wood, not much more technology can be added to a rolling ping, but I love using it.
2) My grandmother from my mother's side's Pot. Its not really an antique, but the one recipe she gave me ( literally on her death bed), the measurements pertained specifically to this pot ( for example, fill to exactly 1 inch from the top of the pot). So in my mind, this pot is gold, as it holds the ' secret measurements' of a recipe that was handed down to me, and only me.

Old 04-04-2016, 03:57 PM   #13
Master Chef

RD, your photo gallery is just remarkable on your web site. I can't wait to get further into it!
Thanks for posting it Steve!

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 04:50 PM   #14
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roll_Bones View Post
If you have no grid power and swear off modern appliances, how do you justify your ability to get on the internet.
After all, you had to type this post and send it.
Good question... I run my business from home, so I MUST have the Google... there is a tower a few miles from my house. I plug this little thing in to my laptop (about the size of a memory stick) and it works well. My phone (flip phone) works well too.

I have a good solar power system, so yes, I have a TV... and the Net Flix!
Old 04-04-2016, 04:54 PM   #15
Master Chef

Agreed Steve and Kay.... I've been looking though the pics on your website, Rugged, and am fascinated. Beautiful cabin you've got there!

As far as retro cooking tools, not many here for me. I have my grandmother's wooden rolling pin - but I'm not much of a baker, I keep it for sentimental value. I also have a pastry blender that was my mom's - it has a wooden handle. I've used it to chop eggs for egg salad. I don't have many small kitchen appliances and have gotten by quite nicely without a food processor or stand mixer. But I only cook for one - if I had a big family to cook for, it may be different.
Old 04-04-2016, 04:58 PM   #16
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kroll View Post
He gave his answer on another thread. The link to his website is below. I think it's well done and interesting myself. I don't see why he has to justify anything. I had a great uncle who chose to live pretty much the same way. He lived in a remote cabin on the Wisconsin river until his death in the early 1980s.

The Rugged Dude
Dude, thanks!

I lived close to Thunder Bay for 25 years so I would go to the Twin Cities a couple times a year... I saw Rush there five times... Minneapolis is one of the few BIG cities I feel safe in these days!
Old 04-04-2016, 05:00 PM   #17
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
RD, your photo gallery is just remarkable on your web site. I can't wait to get further into it!
Thanks for posting it Steve!
Thanks, Kayelle! It's a new site that replaced my old one... I'll be doing a pile of new videos soon, cooking videos and a pile of off the grid stuff.

RD
Old 04-04-2016, 05:02 PM   #18
Master Chef

Hi Rugged Dude, and welcome to DC. Like you, I have a lot of kitchen items that were my Mom's. However, when my wedding shower came along I was gifted with many of the same items, just the 1974 version of the tool. I usually reach for my own tools, since I know if it breaks it won't break my heart to replace it. I do, however, have an old mixing bowl of my Mom's that contains a lot of her hand tools. They would hold a place of honor on my old, formica-topped work table if I could keep the danged thing cleaned off! However, they are on top of the refrigerator. I do, however, use Mom's wooden spoons often. Those things just don't wear out!

I have only a couple of her old appliances. There is no Kitchen Aid mixer in my kitchen because my Mom's old Oster Kitchen Center still works good enough. I also have her old hand-press juicer, the metal stand type with a lever handle. We bring it up from the basement each orange season when they have juice oranges at a good price. Nothing like squeezing your own.

Then there are the small and large serving dishes. The crystal my Dad sent to her when he was in Europe during WWII. I am surrounded by my Mom when I'm in my kitchen. I couldn't have it any better, except for if she was here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kroll View Post
He gave his answer on another thread. The link to his website is below. I think it's well done and interesting myself...
Agreed. And if you read his profile, I'm sure you could lay claim to a lot of those music groups discs in your collection. I know I did.
Old 04-04-2016, 05:19 PM   #19
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheryl J View Post
Agreed Steve and Kay.... I've been looking though the pics on your website, Rugged, and am fascinated. Beautiful cabin you've got there!

As far as retro cooking tools, not many here for me. I have my grandmother's wooden rolling pin - but I'm not much of a baker, I keep it for sentimental value. I also have a pastry blender that was my mom's - it has a wooden handle. I've used it to chop eggs for egg salad. I don't have many small kitchen appliances and have gotten by quite nicely without a food processor or stand mixer. But I only cook for one - if I had a big family to cook for, it may be different.
Thanks!

Funny you mentioned rolling pins because I have a bunch now and I'm starting a small collection... You can usually find them at antique shops for cheap, cheap.
Old 04-04-2016, 05:23 PM   #20
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
Hi Rugged Dude, and welcome to DC. Like you, I have a lot of kitchen items that were my Mom's. However, when my wedding shower came along I was gifted with many of the same items, just the 1974 version of the tool. I usually reach for my own tools, since I know if it breaks it won't break my heart to replace it. I do, however, have an old mixing bowl of my Mom's that contains a lot of her hand tools. They would hold a place of honor on my old, formica-topped work table if I could keep the danged thing cleaned off! However, they are on top of the refrigerator. I do, however, use Mom's wooden spoons often. Those things just don't wear out!

I have only a couple of her old appliances. There is no Kitchen Aid mixer in my kitchen because my Mom's old Oster Kitchen Center still works good enough. I also have her old hand-press juicer, the metal stand type with a lever handle. We bring it up from the basement each orange season when they have juice oranges at a good price. Nothing like squeezing your own.

Then there are the small and large serving dishes. The crystal my Dad sent to her when he was in Europe during WWII. I am surrounded by my Mom when I'm in my kitchen. I couldn't have it any better, except for if she was here.

Agreed. And if you read his profile, I'm sure you could lay claim to a lot of those music groups discs in your collection. I know I did.
Nice to hear that you can feel your mom's presence when you're cooking... kinda cool, actually. My grandmother was the main person who got me into cooking, so I can feel "Nanny" sometimes when I'm cooking... especially making pie crust. I can hear her now, "Don't work the pastry too much dear, or it'll get tough!"

Tags
cook