"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cook's Tools

Old 04-04-2016, 06:14 PM   #21
Head Chef

The only things I have of Mom's are an old orange pitcher that was used for water or Kool Aid from my earliest memories around 1950. It looks like this one:

I also have her old meat grinder that she always used when making hash from leftovers, or when making breadcrumbs from the loaf heels that were saved in a bag until there were enough to make a couple of quart jars full crumbs. I still have all of the parts, including the cutters for 3 different size grinds. Much like this one (only not rusty):

Old 04-04-2016, 07:59 PM   #22
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rugged Dude View Post
I live way the heck back in the woods... off the grid on 90 acres. I do have solar power so I could use all the modern gadgets and appliances, but I choose not to.

I have all kinds of old (were my grandmother's and great grandmother's) hand beaters, mixers, wooden potato mashers, graters, orange juicer squeezers, flour sifters, egg slicers, mason type jars, wire toasters, very old cutting boards... on and on. I also have some cast iron pans and pots that are more than 100 years old, which I use almost every day.

Anyone else???????????
Oh, you are one lucky dude, I tell you. Jealous big time here.

Old 04-04-2016, 10:40 PM   #23
Executive Chef

I have a few things. Here are a few. A meat mallet, sharpening stone and butter molds.
Old 04-04-2016, 11:12 PM   #24
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rugged Dude View Post
Good question... I run my business from home, so I MUST have the Google... there is a tower a few miles from my house. I plug this little thing in to my laptop (about the size of a memory stick) and it works well. My phone (flip phone) works well too.

I have a good solar power system, so yes, I have a TV... and the Net Flix!
I'm sorry, my true calling is copy editor The Google and the internet are not synonymous. The former is a search engine the latter is a whole lot more.
Old 04-05-2016, 12:02 AM   #25
Master Chef

It's evidently just a play on words. Earlier today when I was browsing through his website from the link Steve posted, I saw this:

".....One of the biggest concerns for people considering living off the grid, concerns the Internet. I call it “the Google.” You can get the Google easily these days, pretty much no matter where you are on the planet. In my case (quite handy) there is a tower about 4 miles away from my house. So, I simply plug this little thing (looks like a memory stick) into my laptop and bingo, I have the Google...."

RD sure seems to know what he's doing, and living quite nicely! :-)
Old 04-05-2016, 01:40 AM   #26
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheryl J View Post
It's evidently just a play on words. Earlier today when I was browsing through his website from the link Steve posted, I saw this:

".....One of the biggest concerns for people considering living off the grid, concerns the Internet. I call it “the Google.” You can get the Google easily these days, pretty much no matter where you are on the planet. In my case (quite handy) there is a tower about 4 miles away from my house. So, I simply plug this little thing (looks like a memory stick) into my laptop and bingo, I have the Google...."

+1 and I for one am very happy he's joined our community. I love your suspenders RD.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 06:23 AM   #27
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPCookin View Post
The only things I have of Mom's are an old orange pitcher that was used for water or Kool Aid from my earliest memories around 1950. It looks like this one:

I also have her old meat grinder that she always used when making hash from leftovers, or when making breadcrumbs from the loaf heels that were saved in a bag until there were enough to make a couple of quart jars full crumbs. I still have all of the parts, including the cutters for 3 different size grinds. Much like this one (only not rusty):

Wow, that brings back memories... Kool Aid and... wait for it... FRESHIE! I think that was the rival of Kool Aid. Freshie was always cheaper... about .19 for a box with three packets inside. My mom would buy it at Kresgie's in the west end of Ottawa. Then, I would set up a drink stand at the corner and sell it for 5 cents a glass... These days, you'd need a GD permit to do that!!

I have a grinder like yours too... I make sausages each fall from geese, deer, bear and moose. (Rugged!)

RD
Old 04-05-2016, 06:25 AM   #28
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheryl J View Post

Hmmmmmmmmm, very observant, is that Cheryl J. I was wondering how long it would take for someone to get my take on "the Google." Not long at all, actually.
Old 04-05-2016, 06:27 AM   #29
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocklobster View Post
I have a few things. Here are a few. A meat mallet, sharpening stone and butter molds.
WOW!!!!!!!! I love this stuff... especially, that old sharpening stone. I have one that was my grandfather's and it works really well. Keeps my knives wicked-sharp. I have an old kitchen mallet, but it's a wooden one.

Yours is more rugged!

RD
Old 04-05-2016, 06:30 AM   #30
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
I'm sorry, my true calling is copy editor The Google and the internet are not synonymous. The former is a search engine the latter is a whole lot more.
Nope, you are wrong... Google owns the Internet. I know this because whenever I turn my laptop on, this big page comes up that covers the whole screen... and it says, "Google."

So, that's it... it's the Google. You have to get the Google if you wanna watch the Youtubes or the Net Flix. I know, because I tried otherwise, and it just wouldn't work.

RD

Tags
cook