"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cook's Tools

Old 04-05-2016, 06:36 AM   #31
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
+1 and I for one am very happy he's joined our community. I love your suspenders RD.
You like the suspenders? You could be a candidate for being a Rugged Dudette one day... we have training programs for that.

Old 04-05-2016, 07:27 AM   #32
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheryl J View Post
It's evidently just a play on words. Earlier today when I was browsing through his website from the link Steve posted, I saw this:

".....One of the biggest concerns for people considering living off the grid, concerns the Internet. I call it ďthe Google.Ē You can get the Google easily these days, pretty much no matter where you are on the planet. In my case (quite handy) there is a tower about 4 miles away from my house. So, I simply plug this little thing (looks like a memory stick) into my laptop and bingo, I have the Google...."

RD sure seems to know what he's doing, and living quite nicely! :-)
The picture of his stove looks just like the one I learned to cook on with my mother.

Old 04-05-2016, 10:03 AM   #33
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rugged Dude View Post
Nope, you are wrong... Google owns the Internet. I know this because whenever I turn my laptop on, this big page comes up that covers the whole screen... and it says, "Google."

So, that's it... it's the Google. You have to get the Google if you wanna watch the Youtubes or the Net Flix. I know, because I tried otherwise, and it just wouldn't work.

RD
Maybe yours does. Mine doesn't. I'm magic like that
Old 04-05-2016, 10:28 AM   #34
Executive Chef

Quote:
I live way the heck back in the woods... off the grid on 90 acres. I do have solar power so I could use all the modern gadgets and appliances, but I choose not to.

I have all kinds of old (were my grandmother's and great grandmother's) hand beaters, mixers, wooden potato mashers, graters, orange juicer squeezers, flour sifters, egg slicers, mason type jars, wire toasters, very old cutting boards... on and on. I also have some cast iron pans and pots that are more than 100 years old, which I use almost every day.

Anyone else???????????
Gosh, I never knew how retro my kitchen is!

My name is Mad Cook and I am a jam-jar-aholic. Can't throw one away! I even have Kilner Jars (like Mason jars) of the 1932-1948 vintage which I rescued from the jaws of the house-clearance man when my Grandmother died in 1983!!! And I use them!

I have a Kenwood stand mixer (similar type of thing as a Kitchen Aid) which is nearly 50 years old (inherited from my Mother but I think it may have had a previous owner!) and a 30 year old Magimix Grand Famille food processor, both of which I use several times per week. I never throw away any hand held kitchen tools if they are serviceable, whatever their age, and I have some of Mother's and my grandmother's essentials and I make a bee-line for old kitchen stuff in charity/thrift shops and antique fairs.
Old 04-05-2016, 10:40 AM   #35
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
+1 and I for one am very happy he's joined our community. I love your suspenders RD.
I'm not sure that respectable elderly spinsters like me should be reading this forum. Where I live "suspenders" are those things which rather fast young women use to hold up their stockings.
Old 04-05-2016, 10:56 AM   #36
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Cook View Post
I'm not sure that respectable elderly spinsters like me should be reading this forum. Where I live "suspenders" are those things which rather fast young women use to hold up their stockings.
Oh my! Well, do not hide your head with shame. Here they mean to hold up a man's pants. Outer wear pants that is. You have not been shamed.
Old 04-05-2016, 07:42 PM   #37
Executive Chef

Quote:
WOW!!!!!!!! I love this stuff... especially, that old sharpening stone. I have one that was my grandfather's and it works really well. Keeps my knives wicked-sharp. I have an old kitchen mallet, but it's a wooden one.

Yours is more rugged!

RD
Yeah. That was my mother's. She didn't fool around.
Old 04-05-2016, 09:26 PM   #38
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Oh my! Well, do not hide your head with shame. Here they mean to hold up a man's pants. Outer wear pants that is. You have not been shamed.
For Mad Cook those would be "braces".
Old 04-05-2016, 09:34 PM   #39
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPCookin View Post
For Mad Cook those would be "braces".

True. And here, "braces" are something we use to straighten out teeth!
Old 04-06-2016, 03:32 PM   #40
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Cook View Post
Gosh, I never knew how retro my kitchen is!

My name is Mad Cook and I am a jam-jar-aholic. Can't throw one away! I even have Kilner Jars (like Mason jars) of the 1932-1948 vintage which I rescued from the jaws of the house-clearance man when my Grandmother died in 1983!!! And I use them!

I have a Kenwood stand mixer (similar type of thing as a Kitchen Aid) which is nearly 50 years old (inherited from my Mother but I think it may have had a previous owner!) and a 30 year old Magimix Grand Famille food processor, both of which I use several times per week. I never throw away any hand held kitchen tools if they are serviceable, whatever their age, and I have some of Mother's and my grandmother's essentials and I make a bee-line for old kitchen stuff in charity/thrift shops and antique fairs.
Sounds like both of grandmothers had good taste!!

Tags
cook