Rolling Pin Care

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sassy

Assistant Cook
How should you care for a wooden rolling pin i.e., storing, washing?

Whatever you do, DON'T put it in the dishwasher! I just wash mine with soap, rinse it thoroughly and let it air dry. I think you will have some folks telling you to oil it, but I don't like to do that.

Sassy

Taking care of your rolling pin is very easy - just wash it with soap and water and that will be the trick.

Members have some bad experiences with putting things in the dishwasher and this is one of those times.

I usually use my rolling for items that have fat in them; biscuits, cookies, pie crusts, oiled doughs. I just rinse it in hot water, rubbing the pin all over with my hand and stand it on end to air dry. I do not need to oil mine. Come to think of it, I have had the same rolling pin since high school, a few years ago...

Buck said:
First and foremost. NEVER hit your husband over the head with it. It's much too hard on the rolling pin.
Buck:bangin:

Hey! I was going to say that. now I don't have anything to say 'cause everyone else gave perfect instructions.

I just purchased a coated-steel rolling pin. It works great, and can be put in the freezer to make it cold. It works great with everything I've used it for so far. But that's not what you asked about so I'll just shut up now.:rolleyes:

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

I don't know if it's necesary, but my mom always rubbed it with some vegetable oil and dusted it with a bit of flour before using. I guess it would help keeping too much stuff sticking to the wood.
And since no-one else said it yet: soak it over night in a good mineral oil from time to time (atleast before your first use).

TATTRAT said:
I keep mine in an old(but new and never used) sock. As far as washing, soapy water...that is all. NO DISH WASHER! as stated prior.

No wonder your wife complains of that "popcorn socks" aroma whenever you bake a pie.:ROFLMAO:

Ha! Just kidding. But I had to beat Bucky to the punch (and that's a rare thing indeed.)

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

I'm with VeraBlue on this ... I don't oil mine, I've never had a reason to wash it, I just flour it well before using and then rub clean with a dish towel when done. If it gets some dough stuck to it - I let it sit an hour or so until the dough dries and it brushes right off.

Never, ever, soak a wood pin in water and what ever you do keep it away from the dishwasher!

Michael in FtW said:
I'm with VeraBlue on this ... I don't oil mine, I've never had a reason to wash it, I just flour it well before using and then rub clean with a dish towel when done. If it gets some dough stuck to it - I let it sit an hour or so until the dough dries and it brushes right off.

Never, ever, soak a wood pin in water and what ever you do keep it away from the dishwasher!

Absolutely...no water. Dishwasher...never, never, never. Also, I see no reason to rub with or soak in oil. I've had - still have - several wooden rolling pins for more than 30 years and have done nothing but wipe them down with a clean, damp dishcloth. I've never had a sticking problem when using them. What I believe it amounts to is that they should be dusted with adequate flour as they are being used. My opnion for what it's worth.

the bane of rolling pins is soaking in water (which will raise the grain on the wood and if left long enough, can even split it) & washing it too often with soapy water ( which will remove the natural wood oils and dry out the pin).
if you dust your dough properly, nothing should ever stick to the pin. if you have an occasional run-in with a glob of butter or something it's ok to wash it, as long as you don't make a practice of washing it every time. dry it thoroughly and it'll be fine. otherwise, just brush off the flour with your hands or a dry cloth.

the same goes for an old-fashioned sifter. tap off most of the flour by hand and dust off the rest (if you want) with a dry cloth. if you wash these, the flour in the cracks and hard-to-reach places turn into a paste, dry, crack into hard little nuggets which eventually find their way into your cakes and muffins. washing these also leads to rusting. if you do need to wash one, drying it off in a slow oven is best.

as for soaking pins in mineral oil, it's not only unnecessary, but as an amatuer woodworker, i know that too much oil can cause grain and warping problems in wood. with rolling pins, drying out is not a problem if you usually just dust them off. cutting boards, however, get washed frequently and will benefit if you rub in a little mineral oil once a year or so.
icon12.gif

I wash mine every time I use it. I don't let it soak in the dishwater, and I do make sure it is quite dry before I put it away.

I too have had mine since I was a young slip of a girl--must be months and months now. :)

I was surprised to see ppl recommending hot or warm water for cleaning a wooden rolling pin. I was even more surprised to see soapy water recommended.

I agree with others who recommend simply wiping the rolling pin with a dry cloth. If absolutely necessary, use a *very slightly damp* cloth wrung out with *cold* water and immediately thoroughly dry the pin. I also agree with those who say using mineral oil on a rolling pin is unnecessary.

A wooden rolling pin that's routinely used for pastry picks up a small amount of fat from the pastry and, over time, this is absorbed in minute amounts into the wood. You can see this patina if you've been lucky enough to inherit a hardwood rolling pin that's been used by past generations or if you've used the same rolling pin for a long time.

I have 3 good, hardwood rolling pins of varying sizes and designs. All have seen heavy use (by myself and/or their previous owners), none have been washed or oiled and all have that subtle sheen that comes from actual long term use.

I fear that, for many, making pastry at home is a dying art. Those of us who carry on the tradition know that a properly cared for rolling pin is a tool to be cherished.

Back
Top Bottom