Rolling pins

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Patrick

Assistant Cook
I hope that I am posting this in the right section.
I am looking at making timber rolling pins to sell at markets and I was wondering what length do people like and if they prefer a handle or not, and if no handle do they want the end rounded over or just left square. The two that I have made so far are 50mm and 60mm diameter. I will post up a picture later of the two prototypes that I have made so far and a few other designs that I am looking at making from pictures on google. I am using salvaged grey box branches and logs for the rolling pins so their may be a few cracks and holes but they have been filled with CA glue in the prototypes, and I am looking for a more price effective and food safe resin to fill any cracks in the ones that I will be selling.
Thanks Patrick.

One-piece "European-style" rolling pins vary. Key factors are diameter, length of the full-sized center section, and the degree of taper on the ends. If the center section is too short, the baker has to work harder to roll out dough. Ends should not have sharp edges.

The wood you use should be solid and hole and crack-free. It should be neutral in taste so it doesn't impart its flavors to the food and should be food safe. I don't recommend the use of any fillers.

Last edited:
Thanks Andy M. I am not sure what length people want the centre section so that is one of my questions. I currently have very little taper to no taper at the ends before I go into the handle piece to no handle on one.

I find a 45 cm long pin is too much for me to handle, I much prefer a 30 cm pin and also not too heavy. Since I am short, I have a hard time with the heavier, longer pins and correct leverage to use them.

I find a 45 cm long pin is too much for me to handle, I much prefer a 30 cm pin and also not too heavy. Since I am short, I have a hard time with the heavier, longer pins and correct leverage to use them.

I am with PF and Andy. I don't want my rolling pin too long. I have limited counter space Even though I presently have the old standby pin that is heavy with handles, I have used the ones that are much thinner and fell in love with them. Some day..... Also, I certainly do not want any chemical fillers in any kitchen item that is to be used on food, in my kitchen. :angel:

Just to be clear, I'm talking about this kind of RP.

Attachments

• rolling-pin-french.jpg
    rolling-pin-french.jpg
    5.1 KB · Views: 463
I think you're right, Rock. Very small-grained hardwood, no cracks or splits.

I believe mine are maple. I have both the tapered and straight style. The straight style is too thick for my hands. I didn't realize at the time that there were different diameters. So my favourite has become the tapered. Much slimmer.

Although I think Patrick is long gone I feel like spewing. :rolleyes:

If selling to a small markets like farmers markets perhaps you should make many different versions to offer and see what your consumers want and then consider which ones to produce more of?

Also offer customized rolling pins. If they came to the small market in the first place then chances are good they'd come back to receive what they want/ordered.

As far as cracks and holes in the wood goes being fixed with a filler.
No way no how!
Filler in a surface used for food prep is a no go if you're trying to sell them and speaks volumes about the care you give to your product.

Wood is wood and you've just got to work around or with it's imperfections.

Eons ago a co worker said to me when I was pissed about a screw up with a product. "Hey it's only a piece of wood, Find another piece and start over".

On a side note, Don't use a finish on your product. If you feel you must then simply use mineral oil. It will keep the wood from drying out yet it will in time allow your consumer to use another finish in the future if they feel the need.

Is the first roller used for cookies?

I had a wood one with bright red handles and another with the entire roll cut in cookie pattern - for gingerbread? or some such.

Neither survived my sojourn into pottery :angel:

Back
Top Bottom