Rolling Pins - what do you like?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
mudbug said:
Has anyone tried those marble ones?

I used to have a marble pin, but it was too small, and too lightweight for me.

I like the 18 inch wide barrell pins.

No, I just like them & I'm better at using those than regular guns. I even killed a squirrel with one last year. The stunner darts, which are just plastic darts, hurt worse than the regular darts. A former friend of mine got hit in the side with one & he had a whelp & huge purple bruise the size of a softball for about a month.

I grew up on what I guess you would call a "standard" rolling pin ... a 4" diameter cylinder of wood with a dowl running through the middle and turned handles on each end. Also used similar "modern" versions with a steel rod in the middle and ball bearings. They were okay - but somehow I lost custody of them in the divorces.

I had a marble pin once ... never did like it and finally gave it away ... everything seemed to stick to it. It was heavy ... trust me ... if I couldn't go to the gym I could always use it for a free-weight workout.

These days - I have a 2" diameter by 20" long thing called an "Italian Pasta Rolling Pin" (make by HA Mack - got it at Cooking.com) that I love .... no problems with anything sticking to it. Although it is relatively light I find I get a better feel for what I am trying to roll.

Now, as for those tapered "French" pins ... never could figure out the logic behind those things. If I want to roll something flat, and a uniform thickness ... why would I want something that isn't flat to roll with?

re finding good rolling pins on eBay...
choclatechef on 13-Dec-2004 said:
Sure I will help you. What are friends for? Why don't I just periodically bump this thread up and post some likely canidates for you? Will that work?

That would work fine - or you could PM me. I look forward to getting your recommendations. Thanks very much.

choclatechef said:
Thx - just checked it out. Looks nice. The shipping is $19.20 tho. I put it on my "watch" list.

Do you prefer the metal ones? I've never used a metal rolling pin - have you? How do they compare to wooden ones of similar construction?

What do you think of this one on eBay? http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=3859070990&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT

you also said
choclatechef said:
I like the 18 inch wide barrell pins
I really don't understand the terminology. What does barrell pins mean? And do you mean the rolling pin measures 18" long? You can see I need some help here :? :)

No, I have not used a metal one. I just have always lusted after one, so when I saw the one I bought, I thought.....great for my friend. She does not have a rolling pin.

I also thought it would be easier for her to clean and care for. Other's are not as particular about their equipment as I am, so, I figured an aluminum pin would take more abuse than a wood one.

The reason I copied that aluminum pin for you was because you liked my friend's pin.

Do you want a wooden one? The one you showed me, is always available on Ebay, so you can take your time.

choclatechef said:
No, I have not used a metal one. I just have always lusted after one, so when I saw the one I bought, I thought.....great for my friend. She does not have a rolling pin.

I also thought it would be easier for her to clean and care for. Other's are not as particular about their equipment as I am, so, I figured an aluminum pin would take more abuse than a wood one.

The reason I copied that aluminum pin for you was because you liked my friend's pin.

Do you want a wooden one? The one you showed me, is always available on Ebay, so you can take your time.
I think, given your advice and the other comments on this thread, that an aluminum pin would be better for my daughter. She tends to be hard on equipment (I actually hover over her when she cooks in my kitchen just to make sure she treats my pots and pans nice - she hates it!)

you also said
choclatechef said:
I really don't understand this terminology. What does barrell pins mean? And do you mean the rolling pin measures 18" long? You can see I need some help here :? :)

subfuscpersona said:
choclatechef said:
you also said
choclatechef said:
I really don't understand the terminology. What does barrell pins mean? And do you mean the rolling pin measures 18" long? You can see I need some help here :? :)

You understand -- the rolling portion of the pin is 18 inches long, the handles make it longer -- about 26 to 28 total inches.

The fact there are ball bearings in the rolling pin barrel, make it so that the barrell revolves independently from the handles.

I guess I should admit, I am not fond of the wood pin you showed me. I always hesitate when the manufacturer does not put his name on his product. It is like "are they ashamed of it?"

In a couple of days, I will show you some excellent quality wood pins. I am ashamed because, I don't want you to bid against me on the ones I am bidding on now. :oops:

Plan on paying a good amount for shipping - at the very least $10. If you notice I had to pay $18 to ship the one I bought my friend.

Here is another nice new aluminum one. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=11886&item=3859635624&rd=1

The aluminum pins run between $40 and $60 new, so an Ebay price of up to $15 is cheap.

hi c-chef

Thx for the explanation and additional tips. Very helpful!

I'm going for an aluminum rolling pin - wooden is out.

Tell me if you're bidding on an item and I won't bid also. I know it's not nice to bid against a friend :D - Also, I'm in no hurry. I'm aiming for her birthday, which is in June. I'm satistifed siimply to "watch" some items in the beginning to get a feel for price and number of bidders. Are aluminum pins offered on eBay reasonably frequently?

Yes, aluminum pins are listed fairly often.

But you must know that when I did my search to find the two I mentioned to you, I found 703 rolling pins I had to go through individually! There were 15 pages.

Out of those 703 pins, there were only 3 aluminum pins.

:) I know you wouldn't bid against me, but there are others who might see our posts who would.

choclatechef said:
I know you wouldn't bid against me, but there are others who might see our posts who would.

Then why don't you PM me with the links? That makes it private between us. I'm on-line every day so I'd check and I should get email from DC telling me there's a private message for me so I'd know that way also. Thanks again for all your great help and advice.

I'm off to do some last minute Christmas shopping...but I'll be checking in later! Take care...

I "love" watching TV gizmo demonstrators ... they are soo full of stuff ...

Last night on QVC they were demonstrating silicone coated rolling pins .... might have been more convinced if it wasn't for the demonstration.

But, in spite of the lame demo - the sil-pin makes sense. You ever use anything like this choclatechef?

Michael in FtW said:
I "love" watching TV gizmo demonstrators ... they are soo full of stuff ...

Last night on QVC they were demonstrating silicone coated rolling pins .... might have been more convinced if it wasn't for the demonstration.

But, in spite of the lame demo - the sil-pin makes sense. You ever use anything like this choclatechef?

No, Mike. I never used one of these silicone pins. I wouldn't know what to do with one of those things. I guess they are designed to not stick, but to me.....that's what flour is for.

Yep subfuscpersona, I love to snipe on Ebay!

Just saw those Sil-pins featured in yesterday's paper - going for $34.95 at Sur la Table. Was gonna post about it but then the modem connection crashed until after dinner!

Back
Top Bottom