Rolling Pins - what do you like?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I've never met a rolling pin I didn't like :LOL:
Okay, that's not true. Once, at a thrift store, I saw one, grabbed it and then realized that it was warped, it rolled cockeyed, therefore, I put it back, for some other non suspecting fool (who may have been in desparate need of a rolling pin and had 45¢ in their pocket to spend on one) to pick it up instead of me. ;)
Mine are all wood.
They are with or without ball barings.
I have the long tapered French one too without any handles.
If I had to choose, I think I'd go for a real heavy one with precise ball barings to roll ever so smoothly. < I think if it's the right weight and balance, I'd not have to work so hard in the rolling process.

First, I loved the story about the Christmas tree and the rolling pin.
How special a story is that~!~ :D
Secondly, I am now going over to the ebay room and putting in the search bar, rolling pins. Hope there is something good over there, just to get excited about. I LOVE ROLLING PINS.

subfuscpersona said:
choclatechef said:
I'm curious about this - is it all one piece or does the roller part roll independently of the handles? Who/what is/was Thorpe? TIA

The pin consists of the maple wooden barrell, a steel rod, steel ball bearings, and the handles. So the pin barrell rolls independently from the handles.

Thorpe is a famous producer of rolling pins in the United States. Thorpe pins are an commercial bakery industry standard. I have used them for years. They are wonderful, high quality rolling pins. Julia Child used Thorpe rolling pins in her kitchen.

My old pin is a Thorpe, and the only problem is the metal cap that holds the handle on is too loose. I will get it repaired later on.

Psiguyy said:
My favorite rolling pin is a piece of scrap dowel that I took from a construction site rubbish pile. No, I didn't steal it. It was a home I was having built and I told the contractor I was taking it. A little bit of sanding and I had my rolling pin.

I promise you, Psiguyy, if and when mine breaks, this is precisely what I will do, ala Home depot and 2" doweling.

And Michael, french tapered pins have a long section in the middle where there are not tapered....so they work really well at keeping uniform thicknesses. The tapering is just to let you grab it more easily.

Isn't it interesting that there are as many preferred styles of pins here as there are individuals! Thorpe's are really nice, too, choclatechef! I have a couple that were my mom's that work as well today as they did in the 40s. Nice and smooth action...

I have two: A big one, and a small one. Both of them are the standard wooden barrel, handles, and ball bearings kind.

This is not a brag.. I am just older than most of you... I have a dozen or more rolling pins, from marble, to Stainless, dowels, tapered French pins, old fashioned 3" diameter pins, a whole set (set of rolling pins) Indian or Near-Eastern pins for rolling pita, or naan, or other kinds of ethnic breads, a huge glass pin that you can fill with ice, a strange pin with carved relief things on it from Germany to make something, and my old standby... The cut off hardwood handle of a kids rake- two of them different lengths. I really like the French tapered one, but usually grab the rake handle ones. I do like the large tapered, small diameter ones for making pitas and do search them out when I make pita breads. I would suggest, considering the price of them on Ebay, that you experiment and find one that fits your use, and your hand. Roll on...

This is not a brag.. I am just older than most of you... I have a dozen or more rolling pins, from marble, to Stainless, dowels, tapered French pins, old fashioned 3" diameter pins, a whole set (set of rolling pins) Indian or Near-Eastern pins for rolling pita, or naan, or other kinds of ethnic breads, a huge glass pin that you can fill with ice, a strange pin with carved relief things on it from Germany to make something, and my old standby... The cut off hardwood handle of a kids rake- two of them different lengths. I really like the French tapered one, but usually grab the rake handle ones. I do like the large tapered, small diameter ones for making pitas and do search them out when I make pita breads. I would suggest, considering the price of them on Ebay, that you experiment and find one that fits your use, and your hand. Roll on...

That's how He rolls. :cool:

This is what real men use!!!!!!!!!!!

Attachments

• steamroller_pic-8j8r.jpg
    steamroller_pic-8j8r.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 203
I have three. The oldest one is a dowel that's about 2 inches in diameter and probably about 16 inches long. The one I use most is 4= inches in diameter, has ball bearings and handles. Let me tell you, you don't have to work very hard with this Big Daddy!

The third is a small one I carry with me on jobs that is great for rolling out already prepped puff pastry and the like.. about 6 inches long and just about 1 inch in diameter.

and then there's the pizza dough roller. :)

I have three. The oldest one is a dowel that's about 2 inches in diameter and probably about 16 inches long. The one I use most is 4= inches in diameter, has ball bearings and handles. Let me tell you, you don't have to work very hard with this Big Daddy!

The third is a small one I carry with me on jobs that is great for rolling out already prepped puff pastry and the like.. about 6 inches long and just about 1 inch in diameter.

and then there's the pizza dough roller. :)

I have watched folks from various ethnicities use darn near anything including wine bottles to roll out dough for their purposes. Some folks carry most anything in their purse, murse or personal bag....:blush:

My daughter explained to me that the taper on the french pins was there to allow for uneven pressure. Your hand towards the end of the pin tends to press down harder at that point than at the middle of the pin soooo.. the logic is if the middle is a little thicker then it aids in keeping the dough a uniform thickness. Just lay a pin on some dough and press down on only one end of the pin with out rolling it and you'll get the idea.

I do very little baking. I have a wooden dowel type pin no handles about 2" diameter. I'll use the end of it to crush mint or other herbs in the bottom of a bain marie like an over sized muddler. I put breast of chicken in a 1 gallon freezer bag split open as as sheet and use the pin slapped on it like a bat to pound it thin for chicken marsalla

I once misplaced my wooden rolling pins during a move and substituted a liter water bottle filled with cold water. Worked surprisingly well. I guess necessity is the mother of invention.

Mine is a solid stainless steel roller with ball bearing roller ends, I took it out of a Very Old Xerox copy machine many many years ago.
the roller itself is Mirror smooth also.
it`s effortless to use just dont Drop it!

I have several , all of them inherited from my grandfather a swiss pastry chef and chocolatier, one is about an 1" thinck freench style one is about 2" and 20" long with handles, and the last id about 3 inches thick and about 27" long its nuts, it has handles and i don't use is too often.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom