"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cook's Tools

Old 12-13-2004, 03:52 PM   #21
Chef Extraordinaire

Has anyone tried those marble ones?

Old 12-13-2004, 03:54 PM   #22

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...62058&rd=1

This one is a good deal. They go for between $40 and $60 new.

Old 12-13-2004, 03:56 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudbug
Has anyone tried those marble ones?
I used to have a marble pin, but it was too small, and too lightweight for me.

I like the 18 inch wide barrell pins.
Old 12-13-2004, 07:58 PM   #24
Executive Chef

Two blow guns, Crewsk? Are you some sort of Ninja assassin disguised as a housewife??? @#$%! I better not make YOU mad!
Old 12-13-2004, 09:13 PM   #25
Master Chef

Send a message via MSN to crewsk
No, I just like them & I'm better at using those than regular guns. I even killed a squirrel with one last year. The stunner darts, which are just plastic darts, hurt worse than the regular darts. A former friend of mine got hit in the side with one & he had a whelp & huge purple bruise the size of a softball for about a month.
Old 12-14-2004, 01:26 AM   #26
Master Chef

I grew up on what I guess you would call a "standard" rolling pin ... a 4" diameter cylinder of wood with a dowl running through the middle and turned handles on each end. Also used similar "modern" versions with a steel rod in the middle and ball bearings. They were okay - but somehow I lost custody of them in the divorces.

I had a marble pin once ... never did like it and finally gave it away ... everything seemed to stick to it. It was heavy ... trust me ... if I couldn't go to the gym I could always use it for a free-weight workout.

These days - I have a 2" diameter by 20" long thing called an "Italian Pasta Rolling Pin" (make by HA Mack - got it at Cooking.com) that I love .... no problems with anything sticking to it. Although it is relatively light I find I get a better feel for what I am trying to roll.

Now, as for those tapered "French" pins ... never could figure out the logic behind those things. If I want to roll something flat, and a uniform thickness ... why would I want something that isn't flat to roll with?
Old 12-14-2004, 11:00 AM   #27
Sous Chef

re finding good rolling pins on eBay...
Quote:
Originally Posted by choclatechef on 13-Dec-2004
Sure I will help you. What are friends for? Why don't I just periodically bump this thread up and post some likely canidates for you? Will that work?
That would work fine - or you could PM me. I look forward to getting your recommendations. Thanks very much.
Old 12-14-2004, 11:01 AM   #28

Did you see this one, I posted about earlier? http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...62058&rd=1
Old 12-14-2004, 11:18 AM   #29
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by choclatechef
Did you see this one, I posted about earlier? http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...62058&rd=1
Thx - just checked it out. Looks nice. The shipping is $19.20 tho. I put it on my "watch" list.

Do you prefer the metal ones? I've never used a metal rolling pin - have you? How do they compare to wooden ones of similar construction?

What do you think of this one on eBay? http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...e=STRK:MEWA:IT

you also said
Quote:
Originally Posted by choclatechef
I like the 18 inch wide barrell pins
I really don't understand the terminology. What does barrell pins mean? And do you mean the rolling pin measures 18" long? You can see I need some help here :? :)
Old 12-14-2004, 11:27 AM   #30

No, I have not used a metal one. I just have always lusted after one, so when I saw the one I bought, I thought.....great for my friend. She does not have a rolling pin.

I also thought it would be easier for her to clean and care for. Other's are not as particular about their equipment as I am, so, I figured an aluminum pin would take more abuse than a wood one.

The reason I copied that aluminum pin for you was because you liked my friend's pin.

Do you want a wooden one? The one you showed me, is always available on Ebay, so you can take your time.