"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cook's Tools

Old 12-14-2004, 11:38 AM   #31
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by choclatechef
No, I have not used a metal one. I just have always lusted after one, so when I saw the one I bought, I thought.....great for my friend. She does not have a rolling pin.

I also thought it would be easier for her to clean and care for. Other's are not as particular about their equipment as I am, so, I figured an aluminum pin would take more abuse than a wood one.

The reason I copied that aluminum pin for you was because you liked my friend's pin.

Do you want a wooden one? The one you showed me, is always available on Ebay, so you can take your time.
I think, given your advice and the other comments on this thread, that an aluminum pin would be better for my daughter. She tends to be hard on equipment (I actually hover over her when she cooks in my kitchen just to make sure she treats my pots and pans nice - she hates it!)

you also said
Quote:
I like the 18 inch wide barrell pins
I really don't understand this terminology. What does barrell pins mean? And do you mean the rolling pin measures 18" long? You can see I need some help here :? :)

Old 12-14-2004, 11:39 AM   #32

[quote="subfuscpersona"]
Quote:
you also said
Quote:
I like the 18 inch wide barrell pins
I really don't understand the terminology. What does barrell pins mean? And do you mean the rolling pin measures 18" long? You can see I need some help here :? :)
You understand -- the rolling portion of the pin is 18 inches long, the handles make it longer -- about 26 to 28 total inches.

The fact there are ball bearings in the rolling pin barrel, make it so that the barrell revolves independently from the handles.

I guess I should admit, I am not fond of the wood pin you showed me. I always hesitate when the manufacturer does not put his name on his product. It is like "are they ashamed of it?"

In a couple of days, I will show you some excellent quality wood pins. I am ashamed because, I don't want you to bid against me on the ones I am bidding on now. :oops:

Plan on paying a good amount for shipping - at the very least $10. If you notice I had to pay $18 to ship the one I bought my friend.

Here is another nice new aluminum one. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...35624&rd=1

The aluminum pins run between $40 and $60 new, so an Ebay price of up to $15 is cheap.

Old 12-14-2004, 11:51 AM   #33
Sous Chef

hi c-chef

Thx for the explanation and additional tips. Very helpful!

I'm going for an aluminum rolling pin - wooden is out.

Tell me if you're bidding on an item and I won't bid also. I know it's not nice to bid against a friend :D - Also, I'm in no hurry. I'm aiming for her birthday, which is in June. I'm satistifed siimply to "watch" some items in the beginning to get a feel for price and number of bidders. Are aluminum pins offered on eBay reasonably frequently?
Old 12-14-2004, 12:03 PM   #34

Yes, aluminum pins are listed fairly often.

But you must know that when I did my search to find the two I mentioned to you, I found 703 rolling pins I had to go through individually! There were 15 pages.

Out of those 703 pins, there were only 3 aluminum pins.

:) I know you wouldn't bid against me, but there are others who might see our posts who would.
Old 12-14-2004, 12:22 PM   #35
Sous Chef

Quote:
I know you wouldn't bid against me, but there are others who might see our posts who would.
Then why don't you PM me with the links? That makes it private between us. I'm on-line every day so I'd check and I should get email from DC telling me there's a private message for me so I'd know that way also. Thanks again for all your great help and advice.

I'm off to do some last minute Christmas shopping...but I'll be checking in later! Take care...
Old 12-15-2004, 09:46 PM   #36

I won it! http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=6137458204
Old 12-15-2004, 09:47 PM   #37
Master Chef

I "love" watching TV gizmo demonstrators ... they are soo full of stuff ...

Last night on QVC they were demonstrating silicone coated rolling pins .... might have been more convinced if it wasn't for the demonstration.

But, in spite of the lame demo - the sil-pin makes sense. You ever use anything like this choclatechef?
Old 12-15-2004, 09:53 PM   #38
Sous Chef

Quote:
Congrats! You do like to cut it close, don't you? - 1 second to spare :D
Old 12-15-2004, 10:01 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael in FtW
I "love" watching TV gizmo demonstrators ... they are soo full of stuff ...

Last night on QVC they were demonstrating silicone coated rolling pins .... might have been more convinced if it wasn't for the demonstration.

But, in spite of the lame demo - the sil-pin makes sense. You ever use anything like this choclatechef?
No, Mike. I never used one of these silicone pins. I wouldn't know what to do with one of those things. I guess they are designed to not stick, but to me.....that's what flour is for.

Yep subfuscpersona, I love to snipe on Ebay!
Old 12-16-2004, 08:50 AM   #40
Chef Extraordinaire

Just saw those Sil-pins featured in yesterday's paper - going for $34.95 at Sur la Table. Was gonna post about it but then the modem connection crashed until after dinner!