"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cook's Tools

Old 12-12-2004, 08:22 AM   #1

Rolling Pins - what do you like?

I bought myself a new rolling pin, because the one I have, has a handle that keeps coming off.

It got me to thinking.

What kind of rolling pins do you guys like -- tapered, french style, ball bearing?

What size do you like -- small barrell, large barrell?

Do you like wood, nylon, aluminum, stainless steel, marble.....?

What makes you like the kind of rolling pin you like?

Old 12-12-2004, 12:15 PM   #2
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by choclatechef
What kind of rolling pins do you guys like -- tapered, french style, ball bearing?...What size do you like -- small barrell, large barrell?...Do you like wood, nylon, aluminum, stainless steel, marble.....?...What makes you like the kind of rolling pin you like?
Great question! (I'm not sure about a barrel on a rolling pin, but I'm guessing it means diameter :?: )

anyway...I have 2, both wooden. One is about 20" long and 2" diameter and is basically just a wooden cylinder (no handles). The other is an "antique" (older, anyway - picked it up at an estate sale many years ago) - it has handles, the roller part is 12" long and 3" diameter and is heavier.

The first is the one I tend to use most - I like the extra length. The 2nd I use at times to roll out pasta or pie dough when I want the extra weight.

I never even knew there were metal rolling pins - wow! - learned yet another thing from you, c-chef!

BTW - what kinds of rolling pins do you have and which ones do you like best?

Old 12-12-2004, 01:36 PM   #3
Master Chef

I have to respond, even though I don't bake enough to have a preference. The rolling pin I have is my mother-in-laws. Itis quite narrow, has handles, but is carved in one piece.

You'll like this --

One December during the depression, a man came around selling Christmas trees. He sold one to my mother-in-law.

He showed up a couple weeks later and she paid him to haul it away.

He showed up a day or two later, with a rolling pin he'd carved from the trunk of the tree, and sold IT to her.

Both were poor, and Betty probably only paid a few dollars for the entire exchange. But I love my rolling pin and the story that goes with it.
Old 12-12-2004, 02:17 PM   #4

Claire, what a heartwarming story! I would keep that rolling pin also.

subfuscpersona, I bought my girlfriend an aluminum rolling pin on Ebay. Here is the link:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...e=STRK:MEWN:IT

I have a wooden ball bearing rolling pin.
Old 12-12-2004, 04:07 PM   #5
Head Chef

Wow. That truly is a wonderful family legend, Claire!

I have several, most of which I have not used in years. Long ago, I became more comfortable and adept in using a French-style pin with slightly tapered ends. Mine is made out of maple (I think) and probably cost about $5 when I got it. Today, they can still be hand for under $12.

That is a very interesting one there, choclatechef. Probably designed to be chilled, which could be interesting! Do let us know what you think when you get it!
Old 12-12-2004, 04:24 PM   #6

Audeo, I had it shipped to my girlfriend. It is her Christmas present.

She is the one who recently bought that Hobart Kitchenaid mixer. I thought she would need it.
Old 12-12-2004, 07:01 PM   #7
Sous Chef

My favorite rolling pin is a piece of scrap dowel that I took from a construction site rubbish pile. No, I didn't steal it. It was a home I was having built and I told the contractor I was taking it. A little bit of sanding and I had my rolling pin.
Old 12-12-2004, 07:15 PM   #8

How ingenious! :o
Old 12-13-2004, 12:17 PM   #9
Executive Chef

I have a heavy wooden rolling pin that works great and also doubles as my home defense system! I hear that a chilled aluminum rolling pin works great when rolling out dough. Anyone else ever hear of that?
Old 12-13-2004, 12:25 PM   #10
Master Chef

Send a message via MSN to crewsk
DC, I have a nice heavy wooden one too. The handles are made to "roll" as you are rolling out dough so you don't have to reposition your hands. My grandpa made it for my grandma when the gor married & she passed it down to my mother & my mother on down to me. Not only does it hold a special place in my heart, but I love the way it feels in my hands & how well it rolls things out, including home inturders!