Salad storage question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kitchengoddess8

Sous Chef
I saw a recent post on salad spinners, where people were chatting about the downside of bagged salads. So now I'm thinking of buying romaine hearts instead. Can chopped romain hearts be stored in a salad spinner in the fridge?

Sent from my iPhone using Discuss Cooking

I saw a recent post on salad spinners, where people were chatting about the downside of bagged salads. So now I'm thinking of buying romaine hearts instead. Can chopped romain hearts be stored in a salad spinner in the fridge?

They can, but they won't last as long as whole or partial romaine hearts. The more cuts you make in any food, the more it dries out and the more surfaces there are for bacteria to enter.

I buy the packages of three romaine hearts. When I use them, I pull off enough whole leaves for salad for the two of us (usually) and cut them up. So the rest of the leaves are whole. They keep up to two weeks in the original packaging.

Also - salad spinners are bulky and take up a lot of room in the fridge. I have two fridges and I store the spinner in a cabinet. I don't have to pay to maintain the environment in a cabinet ;)

They can, but they won't last as long as whole or partial romaine hearts. The more cuts you make in any food, the more it dries out and the more surfaces there are for bacteria to enter.

I buy the packages of three romaine hearts. When I use them, I pull off enough whole leaves for salad for the two of us (usually) and cut them up. So the rest of the leaves are whole. They keep up to two weeks in the original packaging.

So do you use a salad spinner to wash the amount you cut up or just use a sieve?

Sent from my iPhone using Discuss Cooking

I do exactly the same GG. We don't bother with a spinner when only making two salads.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom