Scales

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pennsy

Assistant Cook
Anyone have a recommend for a good, dependable scale? I really don't much care if it is inexpensive. I just want a good scale. When one is baking it is usually better to measure by weight rather than volume. I have a lousy scale (Salter) that won't even register anything lighter than 5g and I needed 3g of yeast for a pizza dough I made today. I played around and guessed at it, removing the amount I thought might bring it to 3g. Any recommends based on personal use would be helpful; otherwise I need to go shopping. I looked at Cook's Illustrated recommends and their models didn't excite me.

Thanks group!

Most kitchen scales are not sensitive to amounts smaller than 5 grams. For amounts as small as 3 grams you may be better off going by volume measure.

For example, a packet of active dry yeast is 1/4 ounce = 2 1/4 teaspoons which equals 7 grams. So 3 grams would be just about a teaspoon.

I'm sure there are scales that are sensitive down to fractions of a gram but you probably will find them in laboratory equipment rather than kitchen equipment.

The Good Cook Digital Scale measures in both American and Metric, with the American in 1/8 oz. units up to about 4 lbs., and the metric being accurate in 2 gram increments. It won't measure the 3 grams that you say you need, but with yeast, plus or minus 1 gram is probably close enough.

Good Cook - Digital Scale - Displays Lbs User Review 270930 on Yahoo! Video

Available at WalMart for about $28.00.

I've had mine for two years and no problems.

Scale Query

Great advice and recommends guys. I'll take your advice, suggestions, very seriously. As an aside though, the pizza I made today turned out quite well, so I guess my guess was adequate. DH and I pulled the pizza off our old Kenmore gas grill about 7 PM, Mountain Standard Time. Yum - Much grass; gracias, whatever, TANKS for your help!:flowers:

The Good Cook Digital Scale measures in both American and Metric, with the American in 1/8 oz. units up to about 4 lbs., and the metric being accurate in 2 gram increments. It won't measure the 3 grams that you say you need, but with yeast, plus or minus 1 gram is probably close enough.

Good Cook - Digital Scale - Displays Lbs User Review 270930 on Yahoo! Video

Available at WalMart for about $28.00.

I've had mine for two years and no problems.

That's the scale I use. I bought a more expensive one (I thought I needed better than 2g increments) but I went back to this one.

I have this Salter scale and I love it. It measures down to .05 of an ounce which if I am not mistaken is a little under a gram and a half. I just tested it by weighing a small piece of paper which came in at 2 grams so I know it goes at least that low.

I had a Salter scale before that was OK, but did not last long. It died after a year or so of infrequent use. This model seems much sturdier though so I decided to give Salter another chance. So far I have not been disappointed.

Another good Option

GB:

That Salter looks reasonable option although a bit like something out of Star Trek. You guys have been helpful, I have some other options now for when the batteries die on my other klunker. :clap:

Best,

pennsy

LOL yeah it does sort of look like the Enterprise now that you mention it :). The nice thing about that design is if you are weighing a big bowl you can still get to the controls.

Your signature line.

LOL yeah it does sort of look like the Enterprise now that you mention it :). The nice thing about that design is if you are weighing a big bowl you can still get to the controls.

GB: Just noticed your signature statement, have you been talking to my husband; almost looks like a direct quote? You two would have a lot to talk about. For instance when we lived back east he disabled the "safety" feature on our John Deere tractor/mower. If he had to get off the mower to move an object out of the way, the mower would shut off. Ticked him off royally, so he disabled the safety feature in the seat. I've listened many times to his dissertations on the government keeping us safe. Nuff of that, one could go on forever on that subject, but it doesn't involve cooking. I think I like your scale suggestion. Sounds like what I want.

Best,

pennsy:dry:

Back
Top Bottom