"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cook's Tools

Old 08-30-2006, 01:00 AM   #1
Cook

Send a message via AIM to CyberSlag5k
Seltzer Water

I wasn't entirely sure where to put this thread, so I guessed and went here.

Anyway, I love club soda, seltzer, carbonated water whatever you wanna call it. Love the stuff (especially with a little wedge of lime). I remember seeing on Good Eats, Alton was talking about bottles with small devices (chemical in nature, I'd imagine) that made seltzer water (supposedly better tasting than the store-bought stuff). Does such a thing exist, or do I not properly remember what he was talking about. If so, where can I get such a thing, because I would love to make my own club soda for free.

I guess at that point then, the only other question is what type of limes to use. I bought a bag of small key limes, but they taste somewhat bitter. Is there an especially sweet variety of lime?

Thanks in advance, and if there's a better place for this thread, I'm happy to move it.

Old 08-30-2006, 04:30 AM   #2
Master Chef

What you are looking for is something called a "Seltzer Bottle". Have fun exploring ... basically - it's a vessel that holds water, has a CO2 cartridge, and when you press the button - it carbonates the water as it forces it out of the vessel. It certainly isn't "FREE" - but it can be cheaper than buying bottles of club soda and having them go flat. These were REALLY popular back in the 1930-1950 era - but kind of went the way of the fondue pot.

Limes are bitter - even true Key Limes. And, I'm always skeptical about anything claiming to be "Key Limes" = 99.5% aren't. A lot of unscrupulous marketers try to pass off just any small immature lime as being a "Key Lime" because it has become a "catch phrase". True "key limes" are small, but they are also a certain strain of lime trees that only grow in the Florida keys.

Old 08-30-2006, 10:19 AM   #3
Cook

Send a message via AIM to CyberSlag5k
Thanks Michael!