Sets of Measuring Cups and Spoons

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Do You Use Measuring Cups and Spoons With or Without Their Rings

• Rings on Cups but Not On Spoons

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Andy M.

Certified Pretend Chef
Every set of measuring cups or spoons I've ever seen is sold with a ring holding the individual pieces of the set together.

Until now, I have always removed those rings so I could use the individual tools individually.

What do you do? Why do you do that?

the "until now" part worries me, Andy.

I would definitely separate the cups. Assuming you mean dry measures. Don't need a lot of hangers on when I'm trying to measure something finicky like powdered sugar or cornstarch. Having the spoons connected does not bother me, however.

I take my cups apart but leave my TBS, tsp, etc. together. I'm afraid if those aren't together I would never find them! :neutral:

In addition to the sets of measuring cups/spoons with the rings, I have seen many without the rings. I have many sets of cups and spoons as an efficiency measure. When they come with rings I always remove the rings. I'm not a messy cook, but I see no point in having clean tools put where they may get wet or dirty. I store all my measuring spoons in a metal crock-like container in my kitchen cabinet. The cups are stacked in sets along side the spoons.

mudbug said:
the "until now" part worries me, Andy...

Everyone, please respond to the poll.

I bought a set of each this past Sunday and wondered if I was the only one who did what I did. I guess I'm questioning my long held beliefs at this point in my life.

I always ditch the rings on the cups,the spoons I've left as is..But having trouble with my thumbs now so the rings are going to have to go with the spoons as well...I keep each in a container on a lazy susan cupboard so they are easy to find.

kadesma:)

mudbug said:
Andy, please call or talk to Suzanne before you go wandering out among the Porsches. We are here to help.

Too late! I already have my mid-life crisis car!

So it's come to this. You rip off (or not) the rings gathering your measuring cups and spoons. Next you're going to tell us that you've gone ahead and ripped off those tags on your pillows and mattresses.

I fully expect to hear next about the joys of the blue box of macaroni.

mudbug said:
Next you're going to tell us that you've gone ahead and ripped off those tags on your pillows and mattresses.
I

Oh, muddy, my dear! You know none of us self-respecting, law-abiding DCers would ever do that. Don't you know the mattress police will surely come and clap us in irons?:LOL::LOL:

P.S. Buck and I used to live in a suburban Washington, D.C. neighborhood that had the housing Nazis, too. Oh, pew!

I figured you would know what I was talking about, Katie. In fact, the most recent egregious example was over in your former neck of the woods (the People's Republic of MD), where the house Nazis dictated what kind of Christmas lights the neighbors could display (and no, it was not those big colored "A Christmas Story" kind of lights).

Andy M. said:
I guess I'm questioning my long held beliefs at this point in my life.

Andy,
The only question that truly matters in life is how do you do the toilet paper? Over the top, or down the back?

There is a right answer.

Like most of you guys, I have accumulated several sets of measuring cups and spoons. There is one complete set of measuring cups in my cupboard and a glass jar container one complete set of measuring spoons plus odds and ends of spoon sets.
I have a 1 cup measuring cup in each the flour, sugar, oatmeal and rice containers. Then the 1/2 cup measuring cups in other things like cornmeal, brown sugar... etc. I find this so convenient. Some of my small measuring spoons 1/8 & 1/4 tsp are in the dry spice containers.
The only cups that I have to fetch are the 1/3, 2/3, 3/4 cups on occasion for these dry ingredients. (I never measure veggies & such in a measuring cup....they don't fit. They need to be used as one med. or weighed....2 lbs green beans....for example)
As for the Rings. who wants to wash a whole set because you measured with one?
If I had to take a set to be used somewhere else, I would mount them on a car key ring where they would not fall off. (actually I'd probably just buy another set and what comes home would wind up in the incomplete misc container)
If I decide to recycle a container to store in, I measure liquid &/or dry to see how much it actually holds.

Back
Top Bottom