Shrimp devieners

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Constance

Master Chef
After spending a considerable amount of time last night peeling and deviening shrimp with a paring knife and fingernails, I wonder if any of you all have tried those little shrimp devieners I've seen in those kitchen catalogues.

Do they work? What kind is a good kind?

Have four, I think, different types, buried in the drawer that stuff goes into that you probably will never use again, but don't want to toss out.

They are faster than doing the job by hand, but find that they make the shrimp look a bit shaggy.

They give a better presentation if used before you cook the shrimp, but I always cook them in the shell and then devein.

Have gone back to using the hand shelling method and deveining with a sharp knife. And always buy the biggest shrimp I can because the fewer shrimp I have to shell and devein the better.

But as SpiceUmUp said, these gizmos are cheap (don't think I've spent more than 2 or 3 bucks for one) and would probably suggest giving one a try. The curved aluminum one seems to work the best as I recall. There are some plastic ones that have a bulbous end that you shove into the intestine which I do not like at all.

Doubt this helps much, but that's my humble opinion.

i tend to mangle the shrimp with them like auntdot said, so i've found a good sharp chef's knife works better. there's a technique to it, kinda of one swift motion to do it right with a de-veiner, but i don't have time to practice. using a knife, you can split the shell, leaving it in tact enough to remove the vein but the shell stays on.
since they are cheap, go ahead and try one, but stay away from the plastic ones. the metal ones work better.

Mixed reviews, I see. Since the investment is small, I'll give one of the metal ones a try and see how it works for me.

Thank you all!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom