"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cook's Tools

Old 10-14-2012, 09:30 PM   #11
Assistant Cook

The hole would reduce the effort required to drag through a cake mix, and as someone previously said the hole creates turbulence adding to it's mixing qualities.

Old 07-18-2013, 10:55 AM   #12
Assistant Cook

the hole purpose of the hole is obviously to create conversation in the kitchen. i don't recommend trying the monocle thing if you were just stirring arrabiata sauce.

Old 07-18-2013, 11:30 AM   #13
Executive Chef

Hmmm, I inherited one of these from my husband's first wife. I didn't know what to do with it so I threw it away.
Old 07-18-2013, 11:50 AM   #14
Assistant Cook

The art of will-making chiefly consists in baffling the importunity of expectation. Hazlitt, William
Old 07-18-2013, 12:54 PM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonifan1 View Post
Thanks for the responses-some of them had me cracking up!
We do have a bunch of folks who have a sense of humor that can send you doubled over with laughter. They are so fresh. I am going to send them to their room... Alone!

It is great for stirring in custards. Helps keep lumps from forming. Stir in an "8" shape throughout the pan making sure to get to all the edges.
Old 07-18-2013, 01:18 PM   #16
Assistant Cook

goodness... don't want to be sent to my room ALONE - that defeats the whole purpose of cooking in the first place. Yes to figure 8's - they're not just for figure skating.
Old 07-18-2013, 04:20 PM   #17
Executive Chef

Interesting. I got one included when I bought a 3 pack of wooden spoons one time. Silly me, didn't notice one has a big hole in the middle. It works as a lifter for pulling boiled eggs out of hot water. But then, it's just as easy to pour off the water. So I never use it.
Old 07-18-2013, 06:02 PM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskadoodle View Post
Interesting. I got one included when I bought a 3 pack of wooden spoons one time. Silly me, didn't notice one has a big hole in the middle. It works as a lifter for pulling boiled eggs out of hot water. But then, it's just as easy to pour off the water. So I never use it.
I always head to the Dollar Store and buy all my wooden spoons and spatulas there. I toss out the old or stain ones. For the money, it is the way to go. The only one I hold onto is the holy spoon.

I do have one spatula that I won as a door prize at a Tupperware party more than 40 years ago. It is hard plastic and so old that one side is worn down to a very sharp edge. It gets stained, so I put it in a bleach solution. I just can't toss it. That sharp edge really cleans the side of a bowl.