Single-hole mixing spoon?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jonifan1

Assistant Cook
Can anyone tell me the purpose of a single-hole mixing spoon? I was looking at this set of Bamboo utensils and included is a single-hole mixing spoon. I'm pretty new to cooking - so lots of utensils elude me.

Thanks!

Try it with soups and stews, where there's liquid involved.

I suppose it aids in the mixing process. Liquid passing through causes turbulence, increasing the mixing effect. Plus you can see through the hole if you hold it up to your eye.

It doubles as a monocle. In case you drop yours in the soup.

Last edited:
If you like that, you might like this. Danish dough whisk. Really does an outstanding job.

Attachments

• DDW.jpg
    DDW.jpg
    5.8 KB · Views: 4,754
Believe it or not I always asked myself that question and so I did some investigating and found out that the whole purpose of that spoon is to make it easier to stir sauces

The hole would reduce the effort required to drag through a cake mix, and as someone previously said the hole creates turbulence adding to it's mixing qualities.:yum:

the hole purpose of the hole is obviously to create conversation in the kitchen. i don't recommend trying the monocle thing if you were just stirring arrabiata sauce.

Hmmm, I inherited one of these from my husband's first wife. I didn't know what to do with it so I threw it away.

Thanks for the responses-some of them had me cracking up!

We do have a bunch of folks who have a sense of humor that can send you doubled over with laughter. They are so fresh. I am going to send them to their room... Alone!

It is great for stirring in custards. Helps keep lumps from forming. Stir in an "8" shape throughout the pan making sure to get to all the edges. :angel:

goodness... don't want to be sent to my room ALONE - that defeats the whole purpose of cooking in the first place. Yes to figure 8's - they're not just for figure skating.

Interesting. I got one included when I bought a 3 pack of wooden spoons one time. Silly me, didn't notice one has a big hole in the middle. It works as a lifter for pulling boiled eggs out of hot water. But then, it's just as easy to pour off the water. So I never use it.

Interesting. I got one included when I bought a 3 pack of wooden spoons one time. Silly me, didn't notice one has a big hole in the middle. It works as a lifter for pulling boiled eggs out of hot water. But then, it's just as easy to pour off the water. So I never use it.

I always head to the Dollar Store and buy all my wooden spoons and spatulas there. I toss out the old or stain ones. For the money, it is the way to go. The only one I hold onto is the holy spoon.

I do have one spatula that I won as a door prize at a Tupperware party more than 40 years ago. It is hard plastic and so old that one side is worn down to a very sharp edge. It gets stained, so I put it in a bleach solution. I just can't toss it. That sharp edge really cleans the side of a bowl. :angel:

Back
Top Bottom