Spice Rack

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Adillo303

Head Chef
I have ammassed quite a few spices, as probably have many of you> Does anyone have a really killer spice management thingy (Rack, carousel or whatever)?

Sorry, Adi.
Way, way too many to have just a rack.

Oh, and have been planning to start a spice/herb thread.
I guess today's a good day for it. I just haven't figured out how I want to do it.
Sort of like TPBM thread.

I think that I have way too mane for a rack as well, but, I need some kind of organization. I have a lazy susan in a corner cabinet. Only problem is that the high use ones are on the outside and the lower use ones are located by the "bible methiod" "Seek and ye shall find".

AC

I don't know if this will help but I saw this in a magazine last night. Take one of those very cheap tension rods (for curtains) and put it about an inch from the back of the cabinet, then set your smaller spice bottles on it, leaning them back slightly. You can put several of them in one cabinet and you don't have to make holes in your cabinets. I haven't tried it yet but it looked like a great idea and I will when I get back in town.

I went to Wal Mart and bought two dozen glass jars with a air tight sealing lid. They hold approximately 4-6 ounces of whole spice and herbs. I buy in quanity. I have a slender book shelf ( for paper backs ) I store all of my spices on it next to my kitchen door, very handy and they are out of the heat of the kitchen

Actually I've come to enjoy 5-6 jars of something falling on my head or toes as I look for whatever it is that's made it's way to the back or top shelf......
I don't get out much, maybe it's the element of suprise.....
:)
Good Luck!

Suzi - You made a perfect end to my day. I too live in a similar house. I have decided that homelife is a search for the master piece of junk. The master piece of jink is the one that the whole house is balanced on. Pull it out, ans it all comes down.

I am sort of viewing the spice rack as an attempt to fight back.

AC

Last edited:
We use these. I got them from Cost Plus, pretty sure they were less than $2 apiece. I got two of the cases shown, and one case of larger ones. They have little labels with the names of common spices/herbs on them. For less commonly used spices we just label them with a Sharpie. We keep them attached to the side of the fridge.

I guess this might not be practical for those who have >100 spices to manage, but for my collection and tiny kitchen it's very helpful.

We use these. I got them from Cost Plus, pretty sure they were less than $2 apiece. I got two of the cases shown, and one case of larger ones. They have little labels with the names of common spices/herbs on them. For less commonly used spices we just label them with a Sharpie. We keep them attached to the side of the fridge.

I guess this might not be practical for those who have >100 spices to manage, but for my collection and tiny kitchen it's very helpful.

This.

I actually lined the insides of one of my cupboard units with magnetic strips to affix the jars to. The benefits are threefold.

1) It frees up cupboard space for me.
2) Since I order all my spices fresh, I need containers for them and I didn't want to have to go buy jars of spices off the grocery store aisle just to dump them out so I'd have a vessel
3) It makes it MUCH handier finding the spice I need instead of having to dig through a cupboard full of stuff trying to find the jar. And as I'm a gadget hound, I don't have the counter space to put a dedicated spice rack out.

Once I had a back of the pantry door rack that held everything in EIGHT shelves!
A cheap aluminum thing... Man did I love that system.
Now.. I am biblical too. Seek seek seek.. find.. sometimes.

I went from one carousel...to three...to a cupboard....but recently I moved them into a glass-front cabinet from Ikea (Leksvik collection) It's not the one that hangs on the wall - it's a standing cabinet, but really shallow, so good for spice jars. There's 6 shelves, and I have 12-13 jars on each shelf right now. But, there's room for another 2 rows in front of each jar, if need be. It works great for me.

Do a google search on "The Tubular Spice Company". With their spice tube set up you can store 40 spices in a 10 inch x 7 inch area. I use one in our motorhome and I'm thinking about one for the sticks and bricks house.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom