"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cook's Tools

Old 07-30-2011, 05:28 PM   #21
Master Chef

Since I buy a large variety of spices from several sources, some of the handy-dandy solutions don't work for me -- my jars, cans, and bottles are in so many sizes and shapes! I, like Dawgluver, have the lazy susan type things (Rubbermaid makes them) on the bottom shelf of my next-to-stove food prep area. Two have oils, vinegars and sauces that don't require refrigeration, two have spices and dried herbs.

Old 07-30-2011, 06:39 PM   #22
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

I bought a couple of bamboo spice racks. They have steps and fit far enough back in the cabinet that I can put those tiny McCormick containers in the front. I use the store containers, and put the spices back in the same place. I find it easy to find the spice I want by the different shapes, sizes and cap/label colors.

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 11:08 PM   #23
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
I'm sold...this will be my "frivolous" purchase for the month of August and it's not even August, yet.

I went ahead and got them...the 20 piece set. Now the waiting begins...
Old 08-09-2011, 02:24 PM   #24
Senior Cook

I use these: Magnetic Spice Tin - Bed Bath & Beyond I've got them all up one side of my refrigerator. I write on them with dry erase markers so I know what's going on - one of my best investments yet.
Old 08-09-2011, 04:00 PM   #25
Sous Chef

we got a new fridge - it's stainless - I was overjoyed when none of the 20,000 refrigerator magnets would stick! I'm loving the non-clutter (g)
Old 08-09-2011, 07:58 PM   #26
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcSaute View Post
we got a new fridge - it's stainless - I was overjoyed when none of the 20,000 refrigerator magnets would stick! I'm loving the non-clutter (g)

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 08:46 PM   #27
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcSaute View Post
When we bought the house I was gonna get stainless for the same reason. When we went to buy our fridge (a very specific model to fit the space) they didn't have stainless in stock so we got black, still looks good in the kitchen, but my partner likes to put magnets on it, not even souvenir magnets just ones from businesses, they tend to disappear quickly though
Old 08-09-2011, 08:49 PM   #28
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepfryerdan View Post
I use these: Magnetic Spice Tin - Bed Bath & Beyond I've got them all up one side of my refrigerator. I write on them with dry erase markers so I know what's going on - one of my best investments yet.
I bought those and didn't care for them. Either the lids fit too tight and you had to twist and pull to get the lid off, causing light weight herbs to go flying, or they were too loose and came off too easy.

It was disappointing because I really liked the idea. I put up magnet strips up in the inside of the cabinet doors in the apartment that I used to live in.
Old 08-10-2011, 08:59 AM   #29
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakechef View Post
I bought those and didn't care for them. Either the lids fit too tight and you had to twist and pull to get the lid off, causing light weight herbs to go flying, or they were too loose and came off too easy.

It was disappointing because I really liked the idea. I put up magnet strips up in the inside of the cabinet doors in the apartment that I used to live in.
They are hard to open but since I'm ridiculously strong I don't have much of a problem with them
Old 08-10-2011, 08:32 PM   #30
Sous Chef

I got these racks at World Imports. There are 4 of them in the picture. I labeled the tops of the jars, and alphabetized them. Everything is easy to find, and it takes no cupboard space.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	001 (2).jpg
Views:	123
Size:	32.6 KB
ID:	11754