"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cook's Tools

Old 07-17-2014, 06:10 PM   #11
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Oh please. Help me! Is there a support group for kitchen gadgets? Hi, my name is Addie and today I ordered three more gadgets. A garlic keeper, a SS 2-stick butter dish with a cover that has a handle for easy removal and a new kitchen scale. I am hiding my piece of paper with my order on it from Spike. Every time I order something new, he shakes his head and says, "There you go again!" He keeps threatening to take away my computer.

I have been wanting the garlic keeper for years, but never thought of it until today. And I did have a butter dish from the 40's. It was made of glass and could hold a whole pound of butter. The Pirate dropped it. It was a refrigerator dish. The only thing I didn't like about it though was that the lid had no handle and was difficult to remove. And since he keeps borrowing my scales that is ancient, I bought a better one that looks like you could weigh a baby on it. He can have my old one. Maybe that will placate him.
My name is Mad Cook and I am a kitchen gadget-holic.

Mind you I only buy things I will use. My latest was a set of scales which I've wanted for ages but felt £85 was more than I could justify then I spotted a second-hand set on Ebay for a fraction of the price and not a mark on it. It came with metric wights but I have a set of imperial weights that belonged to my mother. Good old balance scales are generally more accurate than the spring ones. You could weigh a baby in mine too.

Oh and a Microplane grater - wonderful gadget. can't think why I waited so long to buy it.

Old 07-17-2014, 08:24 PM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

I got my mc eons ago as a birthday present. I keep it in an empty paper towel tube with the one end taped over so it won't slide through. Protects my finger when I am searching around the drawer. I would be so lost without it.

Old 07-17-2014, 08:30 PM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
I got my mc eons ago as a birthday present. I keep it in an empty paper towel tube with the one end taped over so it won't slide through. Protects my finger when I am searching around the drawer. I would be so lost without it.
What's an mc?

Old 07-17-2014, 08:35 PM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
What's an mc?

Typo. It should have read mp. Microplane. Sorry! My bad.
Old 07-17-2014, 09:01 PM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Typo. It should have read mp. Microplane. Sorry! My bad.

I really like my microplane too.
Old 07-18-2014, 01:52 AM   #16
Master Chef

Quote:
Good idea. Mine came with a clear plastic cover that slides over it when not in use.