"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cook's Tools
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 07-15-2014, 04:39 PM   #1
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Dawgluver's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 24,998
Spiralizer on sale

This is the thing that makes veggies into spaghetti. Sounds like a good deal.

Premium Spiral Slicer Spiralizer Promotional Bundle | Dining Downloads
__________________

__________________
She who dies with the most toys, wins.
Dawgluver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 05:50 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire
 
GotGarlic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Southeastern Virginia
Posts: 23,168
Pretty cool.
__________________

__________________
Anyplace where people argue about food is a good place.
~ Anthony Bourdain, Parts Unknown, 2018
GotGarlic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 08:06 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Katie H's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Posts: 15,891
Interesting gadget. I saw tons of them on display at our local Wal-Mart about two weeks ago. I was curious but didn't look at them too closely. Maybe I'll check them out a little better next time I'm there.
__________________
"As a girl I had zero interest in the stove." - Julia Child
This is real inspiration. Look what Julia became!
Katie H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 11:33 PM   #4
Executive Chef
 
salt and pepper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Montana
Posts: 2,569
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
This is the thing that makes veggies into spaghetti. Sounds like a good deal.

Premium Spiral Slicer Spiralizer Promotional Bundle | Dining Downloads
No wonder you have "The Most Toys"! You Win!
salt and pepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 09:09 AM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Dawgluver's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 24,998
Quote:
Originally Posted by salt and pepper View Post
No wonder you have "The Most Toys"! You Win!

I may need to unsubscribe from Dining Downloads, as it's so tempting. They have great deals on Kindle cookbooks as well as cool kitchen stuff from Amazon.
__________________
She who dies with the most toys, wins.
Dawgluver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 09:22 AM   #6
Master Chef
 
Chief Longwind Of The North's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: USA,Michigan
Posts: 9,538
Ya know, I could possibly see using such a device to create and interesting salad. But Veggies just won't replace pasta. The structure of vegetable strands don't contain the required protien-starch properties to create a coherent noodle that will maintian its shape when cooked, and not disitegrate. Also, the sauces that usually go with noodles don't all work with vegetable flavors. Would you eat a bedl of carrot "noodles" with an Alfredo sauce on top? Or what about summer squash with fish fume sauce.

I'm thinking that the veggie noodles may work with lo-mien and stir-fries though.

Now if they made a gadget that would turn a carrot into a lasagna noodle, that might me interesting.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North
__________________
“No amount of success outside the home can compensate for failure within the home…"

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 09:45 AM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire
 
taxlady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: near Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Posts: 21,334
Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Chief, I think people mostly use zucchini. That goes well with many tomato based pasta sauces. I don't know if it's cooked ahead of time, or added to the pasta sauce near the end of the cooking time, but a lot of people do it.

When Stirling and I were "doing Atkins", we tried spaghetti squash as a low carb, pasta substitute. It was okay. We never bothered doing it again.

The salad idea has some appeal, but I just don't need, or have space for, more kitchen gadgets.
__________________
May you live as long as you wish and love as long as you live.
Robert A. Heinlein
taxlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 10:25 AM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Addie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: East Boston, MA
Posts: 22,381
Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
Chief, I think people mostly use zucchini. That goes well with many tomato based pasta sauces. I don't know if it's cooked ahead of time, or added to the pasta sauce near the end of the cooking time, but a lot of people do it.

When Stirling and I were "doing Atkins", we tried spaghetti squash as a low carb, pasta substitute. It was okay. We never bothered doing it again.

The salad idea has some appeal, but I just don't need, or have space for, more kitchen gadgets.
Oh please. Help me! Is there a support group for kitchen gadgets? Hi, my name is Addie and today I ordered three more gadgets. A garlic keeper, a SS 2-stick butter dish with a cover that has a handle for easy removal and a new kitchen scale. I am hiding my piece of paper with my order on it from Spike. Every time I order something new, he shakes his head and says, "There you go again!" He keeps threatening to take away my computer.

I have been wanting the garlic keeper for years, but never thought of it until today. And I did have a butter dish from the 40's. It was made of glass and could hold a whole pound of butter. The Pirate dropped it. It was a refrigerator dish. The only thing I didn't like about it though was that the lid had no handle and was difficult to remove. And since he keeps borrowing my scales that is ancient, I bought a better one that looks like you could weigh a baby on it. He can have my old one. Maybe that will placate him.
__________________
Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 06:49 AM   #9
Master Chef
 
CraigC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 6,220
Spaghetti squash, no special tool required and it goes great with gravy and meatballs, sausage, etc.
__________________
Emeralds are real Gems! C. caninus and C. batesii.
CraigC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 10:23 AM   #10
Executive Chef
 
medtran49's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Florida
Posts: 4,074
The local Thai/Japanese place uses spiral cut carrots and zucchini for their tempura veges. It looks like they just dip a whole handful of each in the batter then either drop it in a little at the time or drop in and immediately shake/stir to loosen the mass up and then they pile it high on the plate. It's actually pretty good, crisp and crunchy, not soggy at all like some tempura can be, especially if it's zucchini.
medtran49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 05:10 PM   #11
Master Chef
 
Mad Cook's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: North West England
Posts: 5,135
Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Oh please. Help me! Is there a support group for kitchen gadgets? Hi, my name is Addie and today I ordered three more gadgets. A garlic keeper, a SS 2-stick butter dish with a cover that has a handle for easy removal and a new kitchen scale. I am hiding my piece of paper with my order on it from Spike. Every time I order something new, he shakes his head and says, "There you go again!" He keeps threatening to take away my computer.

I have been wanting the garlic keeper for years, but never thought of it until today. And I did have a butter dish from the 40's. It was made of glass and could hold a whole pound of butter. The Pirate dropped it. It was a refrigerator dish. The only thing I didn't like about it though was that the lid had no handle and was difficult to remove. And since he keeps borrowing my scales that is ancient, I bought a better one that looks like you could weigh a baby on it. He can have my old one. Maybe that will placate him.
My name is Mad Cook and I am a kitchen gadget-holic.

Mind you I only buy things I will use. My latest was a set of scales which I've wanted for ages but felt £85 was more than I could justify then I spotted a second-hand set on Ebay for a fraction of the price and not a mark on it. It came with metric wights but I have a set of imperial weights that belonged to my mother. Good old balance scales are generally more accurate than the spring ones. You could weigh a baby in mine too.

Oh and a Microplane grater - wonderful gadget. can't think why I waited so long to buy it.
__________________
Don’t look for the light at the end of the tunnel. Stomp along and switch the bl**dy thing on yourself.
Mad Cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 07:24 PM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Addie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: East Boston, MA
Posts: 22,381
I got my mc eons ago as a birthday present. I keep it in an empty paper towel tube with the one end taped over so it won't slide through. Protects my finger when I am searching around the drawer. I would be so lost without it.
__________________
Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 07:30 PM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire
 
taxlady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: near Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Posts: 21,334
Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
I got my mc eons ago as a birthday present. I keep it in an empty paper towel tube with the one end taped over so it won't slide through. Protects my finger when I am searching around the drawer. I would be so lost without it.
What's an mc?

__________________
May you live as long as you wish and love as long as you live.
Robert A. Heinlein
taxlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 07:35 PM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Addie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: East Boston, MA
Posts: 22,381
Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
What's an mc?

Typo. It should have read mp. Microplane. Sorry! My bad.
__________________
Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 08:01 PM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire
 
taxlady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: near Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Posts: 21,334
Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Typo. It should have read mp. Microplane. Sorry! My bad.


I really like my microplane too.
__________________
May you live as long as you wish and love as long as you live.
Robert A. Heinlein
taxlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 12:52 AM   #16
Master Chef
 
Cheryl J's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: California
Posts: 9,900
Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
I got my mc eons ago as a birthday present. I keep it in an empty paper towel tube with the one end taped over so it won't slide through. Protects my finger when I am searching around the drawer. I would be so lost without it.
Good idea. Mine came with a clear plastic cover that slides over it when not in use.
__________________

__________________
Grandchildren fill the space in your heart you never knew was empty.
Cheryl J is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:28 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
×