Spring whisks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I use it for emulsifying dressings. Making mayonnaise, etc.

My mother had a spring whisk that she just called a gravy whisk, and that's all she used it for. I don't think she ever owned a regular balloon whisk.

Along with several conventional whisks, we have a silicone coated one that looks like this:

41YCeIlSAaL.jpg

Have you noticed the time required for shipping? For such a small and inexpensive item, does anyone really want to wait THAT long? :angel:

1-2 months - that's crazy. It's eligible for 2-day shipping with Amazon Prime, though. Wonder if that's a marketing tactic ;)

1-2 months - that's crazy. It's eligible for 2-day shipping with Amazon Prime, though. Wonder if that's a marketing tactic ;)

I am a Prime member but sometimes it takes more than 2 days ( sometimes it comes the next day).

In this case I can't expect it until Feb. 12-27.

I have never liked spring whisks. It's all my mother ever had and I thought they were hard to use. I have several balloon whisks and a straight whisk.

But I'm thinking that a spring whisk would be good at getting stuff out of the edges of pans. Maybe I'll reconsider ....

Or it could be that it is on back order.

This is my favorite sauce, roux whisk, it gets all over the bottom of the pan. It has a bend in the handle so that it sits flat in the bottom of the pan. Ours came as part of a set from Ikea, and if it breaks I'll have another immediately.
412ktUcpo9L._SX425_.jpg

I have a small and a large spring coil whisks. Use one or the other every time I make salad dressing. I usually make a single or double batch of salad dressing straight in a jar or Pyrex measuring cup - enough for one or two heads of lettuce. This way I dirty only one vessel and the jar can go in the fridge if necessary. Springs whisks seem to work better in a down and upward motion and IMHO their main plus is being able to use them in jars or very small bowls that tend to be taller than wide - if I have to "whisk" in a circular motion I find a regular whisk of the balloon style to be more effective and much easier to use. My $.02.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chessplayer
I have a small and a large spring coil whisks.

Which ones do you have

Both are RSVP Endurance and I am very happy with them.

I have a small one that I got at the old Lechmere's store in Cambridge more than 40 years ago. Great for doing one egg. It came with a set of kitchen tools in miniature. I lost all the others, but still have this one whisk that I use all the time. I also have a larger one from the Dollar Store. Ready to toss it and get a newer one. Wires are all bent. What do you expect for $1.00? :angel:

I had a spring whisk many moons ago and somewhere along the line it disappeared.
Until you mentioned it I hadn't thought about it and come to think of it, I never liked it anyway.

I have a small one that I got at the old Lechmere's store in Cambridge more than 40 years ago. Great for doing one egg. It came with a set of kitchen tools in miniature. I lost all the others, but still have this one whisk that I use all the time. I also have a larger one from the Dollar Store. Ready to toss it and get a newer one. Wires are all bent. What do you expect for $1.00? :angel:

My favorite regular whisks are Vollrath whisks from the restaurant supply store, they are the only ones that I haven't managed to destroy!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom