"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cook's Tools

Old 03-10-2008, 01:43 PM   #11
Head Chef

I have an old brass one from Jordan or Guam, I forget which, handed down from my MIL.
Had been wanting a mortar & pestle, and had forgotten about
the brass one. Glad I remembered before I bought a stone one, LOL!

Old 03-11-2008, 10:28 PM   #12
Senior Cook

My main mortar is a ceramic unit made by Adolf Coors company. I got it when I was in collage as a Biology major in the early 70s. I still use it for most things. The pistol is wood handled w/ a ceramic bulb but the mortar [bowel] is just straight ceramic.

I do put it in the DW, I have for the years since 1973 when I bought it. Works fine.

As I said above, I wouldn't do this with the lava and thereby porous types.

edit: I can't spel

Old 03-14-2008, 12:31 AM   #13
Head Chef

I have a Mason & Cash ceramic one. I use it regularly, and I hand wash it in ordinary dish detergent, as I do many of my favorite knives, pots and pans. I always have one side of the sink filled with hot soapy water when I'm cooking, and I just wash things up as I go. There are almost always times when I'm waiting for something to cook for 3 minutes or so before adding the next ingredients... perfect time to relieve some of the mess. Keeps down the clutter, and my wife appreciates it, as the one who doesn't cook gets to clean up.
Old 03-15-2008, 01:59 PM   #14
Senior Cook

Rp cookin, my wife have a variation on that theme, who ever cooks, I clean up. And I have a variation on your dishwashing technique whenever she puts something down, especially if she is cooking for guest, and don't clearly know that it is going tbe used again, it goes in the dishwasher. When the dishwasher gets full it runs. So in the course of cooking for a dinner party the dishwasher may run 2-3 loads of dishes while we are cooking. We have enough utensils and pans and pyrex, so on so forth to be able to do that.
Old 03-26-2008, 05:34 PM   #15
Senior Cook

I own only a wooden one - just wipe it out after use - never used a ceramic or gravel one...does anyone know the advantages of wood vs. ceramic or gravel-maybe I need a different kind...
Old 03-28-2008, 12:32 PM   #16
Head Chef

I have a stainless steel one, bought on a whine awhile back because I had always used a stone mortar/pestle in the past. I actually like it and it cleans up nicely.
Old 03-28-2008, 02:17 PM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chef Mark View Post
I own only a wooden one - just wipe it out after use - never used a ceramic or gravel one...does anyone know the advantages of wood vs. ceramic or gravel-maybe I need a different kind...
Wood is porous, so it might retain flavors from one use to the next more than stone. And it's granite, not gravel
Old 03-28-2008, 04:24 PM   #18
Head Chef

I agree, wood might be too porous (and soft) to make a good M & P. I don't actually grind in my mortar, but pound. I had never heard of a wood M & P, but ran into one on a website a few days ago, made in italy of olive wood. I remember the Coors ceramic ones in chemistry class. They would not absorb anything, I believe stone will. Most of the mortar and pestle sets used in those cultures who use them daily use stone for one reason or another. They do a good job and are not very expensive.
Old 03-31-2008, 02:00 PM   #19
Senior Cook

thankx for the update and insight
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
Wood is porous, so it might retain flavors from one use to the next more than stone. And it's granite, not gravel
Old 06-27-2008, 10:25 AM   #20
Assistant Cook

Actually the granite dust will mix with the food and give it a distinct flavor, its claimed to be good for you as well.