"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cook's Tools

Old 01-19-2008, 07:11 PM   #1
Senior Cook

Stone Mortar and pestle

I have one of those granite, stone mortar and pestles... how do you clean it? I can't stick it in the dishwasher can I?

Old 01-19-2008, 08:54 PM   #2
Senior Cook

That's where I stick mine. Never had any problem.

Old 01-20-2008, 01:33 PM   #3
Senior Cook

If I can pull a cast iron pot from a 350 oven and set it on my granite counter without damage, the 140 degree DW won't hurt the stone either. Now if it is one of those white composite marble things, I don't know. I would also avoid the lava types that you find in the pacific areas, I would worry about their porosity retaining the soap.
Old 01-20-2008, 03:06 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
I'd say just wiping it out with a damp paper towel would do the trick - or simply rinsing under running water. I don't think I've ever used soap on mine unless there was just a little left on the sponge already.

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 01:24 AM   #5
Senior Cook

Send a message via MSN to wysiwyg
I don't have this gadget, but since it handles all aromatic stuff, I'd he hesitant to clean is with any kind of soap as it may happen on the dishwasher.
Instead, I'd clean it as kitchenelf recommended or use a mild neutral abrasive like baking soda to rub off the residue.
Old 01-21-2008, 01:35 AM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
Quote:
Originally Posted by wysiwyg View Post
I don't have this gadget, but since it handles all aromatic stuff, I'd he hesitant to clean is with any kind of soap as it may happen on the dishwasher.
Instead, I'd clean it as kitchenelf recommended or use a mild neutral abrasive like baking soda to rub off the residue.
Oh, that reminds me - I clean my stone pieces with cornstarch if they are still greasy after washing (with water only). Good idea on the baking soda!

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 10:25 AM   #7
Head Chef

I have a mortar and pestle which I purchased at an oriental food market which appears to be made ouf of some stone other than granite. I follow the practice of my Cambodian cooking partner, and clean with water only and a stainless steel pad. I have never detected any cross flavors. I always clean anything porous, such as cutting boards or the Mortar and Pestle immediately after using. I would not use soap or put it in the dishwasher as I do not like the taste of soap in my food. For the same reason, I do not use soap on any cutting board.
Old 03-10-2008, 12:21 PM   #8
Assistant Cook

Send a message via MSN to peafactory
I'd like to buy one of these. Any recommendations on what I should be looking for when I purchase?

Thanks kindly,

Sandra Howard
http://www.peafactory.com
peafactory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 12:56 PM   #9
Master Chef

I think the biggest thing is to find one where the inside surface of the bowl has some gripping power. The one I got is marble maybe and the inside is smooth which does not lend itself to holding the spices/food in place so that you can crush or mash it. Look for one with a slightly rough texture on the inside.
Old 03-10-2008, 01:32 PM   #10
Head Chef

In my opinion, stay away from the marble or small ones. I purchased mine from a Cambodian food store, and it is made of a rather soft stone with a rough exterior and a more finished interior. Oriental and spanish cultures use these, and the ones at either type of store would be made to use, not for decoration. Mine is about 8 inches in diameter on the outside, and I would not get a smaller one. As for cleaning, I just wipe it out with a wet paper towel. I don't use soap on anything porous. I have experienced no cross tastes. I grind fresh lime leaves and lemongrass and use oil or other liquids for some mixtures, and the paste does not seem to stick. Spices like cloves and cinnamon take on a whole new flavor when you grind your own, but it is a lot of work. Incidentally, oriental lime leaves and lemongrass grow well in pots, and are ornamental as well. Fresh ground they add a lot of flavor and aroma to oriental dishes. You don't really grind in an M & P, but pound.