"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cook's Tools

Old 01-29-2012, 10:10 AM   #21
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
Oh--you had to share that!!! It would have been a perfect workstation for your new pie maker! Can you get it back?
I am afraid not. It was five years ago. Had I known, I would have sent it to post haste. Even if I had to carry it on my back.

Old 02-02-2012, 08:26 PM   #22
Assistant Cook

I use the Pyrex containers. I like that they come in all the different sizes, and the fact that they are glass. Glass doesn't keep the food taste and smells and is easier to clean. Plus you don't have to worry about warping and BPA!
Pyrex 6021224 Storage 10-Piece Set, Clear with Blue Lids

Old 02-02-2012, 09:13 PM   #23
Master Chef

I recently had to find some new storage solution for my pantry. I've lived here for ten years and, while I've always had fall/winter mouse/shrew problems, this year the mouse was chewing into unopened pasta boxes/bags, even if I put the unopened package in a second sealed bag. I've had Tupperware "ovals" canisters for over 20 years, but not nearly enough for this purpose, and my storage space is limited. In other words, I need shapes that fit well together to maximize space. To put all pasta/rice/legumes/taco shells, chips, mixes in envelopes, etc, into solid, sealed containers required twice what I have. So I was delighted to hit Amazon and found I can still buy the containers that will allow everything to fit in my pantry, plus a couple of replacement lids for those lost in the half-dozen moves since I first bought the set(s).
Old 02-03-2012, 02:05 AM   #24
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire View Post
I recently had to find some new storage solution for my pantry. I've lived here for ten years and, while I've always had fall/winter mouse/shrew problems, this year the mouse was chewing into unopened pasta boxes/bags, even if I put the unopened package in a second sealed bag. I've had Tupperware "ovals" canisters for over 20 years, but not nearly enough for this purpose, and my storage space is limited. In other words, I need shapes that fit well together to maximize space. To put all pasta/rice/legumes/taco shells, chips, mixes in envelopes, etc, into solid, sealed containers required twice what I have. So I was delighted to hit Amazon and found I can still buy the containers that will allow everything to fit in my pantry, plus a couple of replacement lids for those lost in the half-dozen moves since I first bought the set(s).
For larger quantity or unopened packages try using an ice chest until you catch the varmints!
Old 02-03-2012, 03:43 AM   #25
Head Chef

Anyone use these? After awhile, the lid wouldn't close down tight no matter how hard I pushed on it. I discovered that some flour had collected around the seal area. I took a toothpick and cleared out the flour debris around the seal. It shuts completely now.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	container.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	40.0 KB
ID:	12960  
Old 02-03-2012, 09:30 AM   #26
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Storage > Acrylic & plastic has storage containers like those used on the cooking shows.
Old 02-03-2012, 11:41 AM   #27
Senior Cook

Location: Central Kentucky---Where The Bluegrass Meets The Mountains
Those ones you see on TV are standard food storage containers, used in most restaurants and food-service establishments. They're available at restaurant supply shops, and are relatively inexpensive.

Despite popular belief to the contrary, most restaurant supply houses will sell at retail levels. You don't have to be in the business to shop there.

Sam's carries a limited selection of them, too, if you have one handy.
Old 02-03-2012, 11:44 AM   #28
Senior Cook

Caslon, because I scoop flours, rather than pour them, I prefer round, wide-mouthed containers. The ones you picture, however, are ideal for storing cereals, grains, and legumes.
Old 02-03-2012, 03:22 PM   #29
Head Chef

I never thought of a restaurant supply place. We do have one not far from here. Thanks.
Old 02-03-2012, 03:26 PM   #30
Senior Cook

One word of caution, Lyndalou: When you walk into a restaurant supply house it's like being a five-year-old in a toy store. You'll spend a lot of time saying, "ooh, ooh, I need that."

Just a word to the wise---especially given your signature line. :>)