Storage Containers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
There must be some way to clean out that onion smell. Maybe add a few tablespoons of white vinegar and seal it up, leave it on your counter for a few days and shake it now and then... ?

Probably any of the plastic containers could take up onion smell. On the other hand, drop plastic and no problem, drop glass and it could shatter.

I've tried vinegar, vinegar and salt, bleach, crumpled newspaper, baking soda. I just use those couple for raw onion, my only solution to the smell issue. I'm probably over sensitized to stale onion smells, it's one of those I cannot stand, especially if it's on my hands, so I may be smelling something that really isn't there to someone else.

Try mixing about a teaspoon of baking soda per cup of water and let it sit in the container overnight. That should help with the onion smell.

BTDT...Thanks, my luck it's all psychological...or just psycho:wacko: Shrek says he doesn't smell it, but he doesn't mind humoring me in this situation.

We got a set of Incense brand containers as a freebie when we bought our fridge. These things are amazing. Everything stays so fresh in them. They have some antibacterial, anti odor stuff baked into the plastic. I put all our Triscuit, trail mix, crackers, etc. in them. The containers are microwaveable and dishwasher safe, the locking lids are not, as they have a squishy silicon seal thing. 2 year old trail mix stored in one of these tasted as fresh as when we bought it. I may need to seek out some more. Our usual storage containers previously housed cottage cheese.

Last edited:
BTDT...Thanks, my luck it's all psychological...or just psycho:wacko: Shrek says he doesn't smell it, but he doesn't mind humoring me in this situation.

Plastic is pourous on a microscopic level, even food storage grade plastic. Maybe some of them onion molecules are now comfortably with those plastic molecules. :LOL:

I don't mean to tangent off, but if your store bought crackers or cookies are put into a standard plastic ziplock bag, your crackers and cookies will have a ziplock plastic taste after a couple of weeks.

If you were to store those same crackers in a stiffer plastic bag such as what Ziplock Vacume bags are made of (not vacuming the air out), the crackers won't absorb as much a plastic smell

I just wanted to add my 2 cents of what little I know about food storage and plastics.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom