"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cook's Tools

Old 02-03-2012, 04:03 PM   #31
Executive Chef

Another word of caution about restaurant supply stores, be certain you understand their return policy before buying anything. Their priority is dealing with the trade and probably deal with the general public only as a concession. They may have a restocking fee for returns, or might not even accept returns at all (excepting exchange for any defective items).

Restaurant supply stores are simply amazing! I've found things there that I've never seen in ordinary stores, or I'll find an entire assortment different kinds of some item where ordinary stores have only one or a few. Prices are often substantially lower than ordinary stores, but some items are very pricey because they may be brands of particular interest to professionals and not sold in ordinary stores.

And don't even go near the stoves if they have them!!!

Old 02-04-2012, 01:02 AM   #32
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyndalou View Post
I never thought of a restaurant supply place. We do have one not far from here. Thanks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HistoricFoodie View Post
One word of caution, Lyndalou: When you walk into a restaurant supply house it's like being a five-year-old in a toy store. You'll spend a lot of time saying, "ooh, ooh, I need that."

Just a word to the wise---especially given your signature line. :>)
Oh yeah! You will have to look at everything. Either plan a kamikaze visit or at least a whole afternoon. I drive Shrek nuts with walking through and picking up everything!

Old 02-04-2012, 01:40 AM   #33
Chef Extraordinaire

We have a couple of restaurant supply stores within range of where I live. I went and asked if they had an open box of glasses of a certain size. I only needed about 12. They were very happy to sell them to me. I engraved them with my daughter's initial and gave them to her for Christmas. They were double barrel bar glasses and very difficult to break. That was 10 years ago and she still has all of them. A couple of years ago I bought six of them, engraved them with a medallion and gave them to my church to sell at their Fall Fair. They went quickly. Restaurant supply stores are a great place to shop in. But put blinders on before you go in.

Stay away from the pots and pans also. You will find yourself selling the blood of your first born and looking for the wings of a bat, and the eye of a newt to afford some of their pans.
Old 02-04-2012, 02:17 AM   #34
Chef Extraordinaire

my wife bought "lock n lock" storage containers from qvc a few years ago and i have to say that they're amazing. they really keep food fresher longer. i've put stuff in them amd forgotten about it as they got pushed back in the fridge. but time after time, what i'd expected would be bad when i opened it up a week or more later was still good.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 02:28 AM   #35
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post
my wife bought "lock n lock" storage containers from qvc a few years ago and i have to say that they're amazing. they really keep food fresher longer. i've put stuff in them amd forgotten about it as they got pushed back in the fridge. but time after time, what i'd expected would be bad when i opened it up a week or more later was still good.
I have the Lock n Lock bins from QVC and all my plastics are Lock n Locks. I was able to get scoops for the bins at the restaurant supply, perfect for my pantry. The smaller containers, leftover size, never go in the microwave...makes me feel better to know I'm not ruining them in there with food (fat) that's too hot.
Old 02-04-2012, 01:26 PM   #36
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post
my wife bought "lock n lock" storage containers from qvc a few years ago and i have to say that they're amazing. they really keep food fresher longer. i've put stuff in them amd forgotten
I recommended Lock 'n Lock earlier in the topic and I too think they're really good.
Old 02-04-2012, 01:39 PM   #37
Chef Extraordinaire

oops, you're right. i missed that on the first skim through.

they really are great containers. must be just that little bit of positive pressure on the seal.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 02:09 PM   #38
Executive Chef

I was just making the point that three of us have recommended Lock 'n Lock, which should make it a stronger recommendation.

They're incredibly tough, they seal good enough to hold a partial vacuum, they're microwavable and they're made of the safe kind of plastic.

They hold such a good seal that they would be certain to explode if you put a sealed Lock 'n Lock in your microwave. So don't anybody do that!
Old 02-04-2012, 02:40 PM   #39
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

I like that I have found it impossible to stain the Lock n Locks. I did have a problem with storing raw cut onion and residual smell. I have those 2 or 3 marked and only put onion in them.
Old 02-04-2012, 02:45 PM   #40
Executive Chef

There must be some way to clean out that onion smell. Maybe add a few tablespoons of white vinegar and seal it up, leave it on your counter for a few days and shake it now and then... ?

Probably any of the plastic containers could take up onion smell. On the other hand, drop plastic and no problem, drop glass and it could shatter.