Storage Containers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lyndalou

Head Chef
I often see some of the FN cooks using clear plastic containers for storing and freezing food. They are very basic looking, but seem to do the job well. Any idea where they can be purchased? I am not looking for Rubbermaid or any of those brands with the colorful tops, etc.

I often see some of the FN cooks using clear plastic containers for storing and freezing food. They are very basic looking, but seem to do the job well. Any idea where they can be purchased? I am not looking for Rubbermaid or any of those brands with the colorful tops, etc.

Consider glass jars rather than plastic; collected jars are free, recyclable, don't have any toxins in them or pick up smells, and you can see what's in them.

Consider glass jars rather than plastic; collected jars are free, recyclable, don't have any toxins in them or pick up smells, and you can see what's in them.

I use those and old glass cookie/cracker jars that I dig up from thrift shops and flea markets.

They work in my homely,crazed granny, clutter, style of house keeping.

If you want to look more buttoned up and uniform make friends with the folks at your local deli or saloon. They still get large glass jars with peppers, pickled eggs,cherries etc...

I do use glass sometimes, but never for the freezer. Anyone know where I can try toget the plastic ones I see on t.v.?

I just amazoned it (hahahaha I couldn't resist this one instead of "googled") and find this offer, a 40 pieces set for 21.49 dollars, Microwave / Freezer / Dishwasher Safe.

Rubbermaid Easy Find Lid Food Storage Set

And yes, I'm editing this post cause I'm an idiot and I didn't read that you don't want rubbermaid color tops... :rolleyes:

Last edited:
The containers I think you are talking about, I've seen in resturant supply stores. The local one requires that you must be a business, but it doesn't have to be associated with making food.

Craig

I use the Gladware storage containers. They are solid, inexpensive, easy to stack and store, and they work just as well as the expensive ones. They come in many different sizes with snap-on or screw-on tops, and because they're so cheap when they get that spaghetti sauce glow, you don't feel guilty about trashing them!

NA Chef, Those are the containers I am looking for. However, since I only wanted a few of them,(2 sets) the shipping and handling charges were twice the amount of my order. Naturally, I cancelled. You have to spend $150.00 to get free shipping. A bummer. Thanks, though.

I discovered what has turned out to be my favorite food storage containers for both refrigerator and freezing. They are made under the trademark Lock & Lock. I first found them in my local Asian markets but they are also available online. They come in a variety of square, rectangular and round sizes.

Anybody who is going to use plastic storage containers should determine what plastic they're made of. Here's a good article: Plastic Bottles: Are They Safe and What Do the Numbers Mean? Particularly you want to avoid BPA (#7). The Lock & Lock containers are polypropylene (#5) and AFAIK are safe not only for food storage but microwave too (although NOT with the top fastened!!!!).

Google search: Lock & Lock food storage containers

I just use the Glad or Ziplock reusable toss away type for just about everything except hot fat/grease. The I use Corningware (at least until it is cold).

I just use the Glad or Ziplock reusable toss away type for just about everything except hot fat/grease. The I use Corningware (at least until it is cold).

I'm too cheap for that. I reuse the plastic ones from the deli and other groceries. Plastic bags are usually bread bags. :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

If it is just to go into the fridge, I always use glass. I have some old 40's glass fridge containers in different sizes. My butter dish holds two sticks of butter. Sometimes I switch to my butterball. That too is crockery Love them. I hate plastic in the kitchen or anywhere else in my home. It always feels greasy to me. Even if it is new. For the freezer, I use freezer bags. For large liquid's items, I place the bag inside a large jar, fold the top over the edge and pour the ingredients in. The freezer bags take up less room in the freezer and lie flat. Makes it easier to store items from the store like ice cream, etc. Meats get individually wrapped for one meal, and then go into the bags. Freezer bags are less expensive than containers. I don't buy the most expensive ones either. And no, I don't wash them. They get tossed. :)

Lyndalou--check out the Salvation Army, Goodwill, and other thrift stores. I popped into a Salvation Army here in San Antonio and picked up two corningware dishes with plastic and glass lids. I also got 3 plates that match my stoneware. This brings my dinnerplate count up to 12. I could've bought more cups and saucers, but I never use the 8 I have--if there had been salad bowls, serving pieces, I would've snatched those up. From an online place that sells replacement china pieces, the plates are listed at $23.99 each. I got three for 79 cents each. Now how to get them back to Canada without breaking them....It is amazing what people throw away/donate.

Last edited:
Lyndalou--check out the Salvation Army, Goodwill, and other thrift stores. I popped into a Salvation Army here in San Antonio and picked up two corningware dishes with plastic and glass lids. I also got 3 plates that match my stoneware. This brings my dinnerplate count up to 12. I could've bought more cups and saucers, but I never use the 8 I have--if there had been salad bowls, serving pieces, I would've snatched those up. From an online place that sells replacement china pieces, the plates are listed at $23.99 each. I got three for 79 cents each. Now how to get them back to Canada without breaking them....It is amazing what people throw away/donate.

When I downsized they got my diningroom set and kitchen furniture. A lovely rolling cart. :(

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom