Strange kitchen tool

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Biotech

Assistant Cook
Hello all,

I have found this little tool hidden in a drawer in my grandparents house. My grandparents however also could not remember what it exactly is.
In the picture it is opened: you can close it again (you can see it in the middle).
It seems a tool to put something in and then squeeze it, but it seems a bit strange for a garlic press (the handles are rather short so you can not apply a lot of force).
You do see the "bobbles" in it, so it does seem something to squeeze, but I am not sure exactly for what it was made.
There is also not a lot of information on it: it just says "Prestige I8-8 stainless rostfrei-inox"

Any clues what it might be?

9NJwwJw

Ditto here. Just a box with an X placeholder, no picture.

Welcome to DC.

I right-clicked on the little square and was able to open it and copy the image. It does look like some kind of squeezer, and you mentioned it closes - maybe for lemons? Hard to tell without seeing some depth to it. Welcome to DC!

Attachments

• Schermafdruk-2019-06-08-17-31-51.jpg
    Schermafdruk-2019-06-08-17-31-51.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 259
Yeah, I think that's what it is too GG.

It's amazing how many silly gadgets can accumulate in drawer. Imagine needing a gadget to squeeze a lemon wedge? :rolleyes:

Welcome. Thanks to you and Cheryl for the interesting post.

Last edited:
I remember that!

https://www.amazon.com/Stainless-Squeezer-Manual-Juicer-Silver/dp/B01HUNUTJG/ref=asc_df_B01HUNUTJG/?tag=bingshoppinga-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid={creative}&hvpos={adposition}&hvnetw=o&hvrand={random}&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=e&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl={devicemodel}&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=&hvtargid=pla-4583795260342330&psc=1

My greatgrandma had one for lemon slices in her tea

I was wondering if it was for use at the table, when someone might not want to get lemon juice on their fingers.

I was wondering if it was for use at the table, when someone might not want to get lemon juice on their fingers.

That is most likely the idea behind it: not making your fingers wet, but still.. seems a bit over the top.
Also: how much juice can you get from a wedge...

That is most likely the idea behind it: not making your fingers wet, but still.. seems a bit over the top.
Also: how much juice can you get from a wedge...

Lemon juice bleaches fabric. If the napkins have a pretty colour, wiping off the lemon juice on the napkin could leave pale streaks. We don't tend to use expensive fabric napkins nowadays, but people did, back when those lemon wedge squeezers were more common.

It doesn't look fancy enough to be for use at the table; all the Victorian-style tableware gadgets I've seen match the cutlery. I'm guessing it's for use by bartenders, as I mentioned above.

I remember that!

My greatgrandma had one for lemon slices in her tea

My grandma and mom both had one. They were very common in the 50's. It was used for tea but also more for squeezing lemon down a serving of fish or whatever. You got a steadier stream that way.

Wedges of lemon were served to the individual's teacup saucer with tongs. They had to do the dirty deed by hand. Most napkins back in the day were just white (linen), not coloured as you can get now.

Never seen one like GG shows for the bar and hadn't heard it was used there but certainly sounds right.

Back
Top Bottom