Strange product - beer can holder for Beer Beer Can Chicken

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
As someone once said, "A FOOL AND HIS MONEY ARE SOON PARTED."

Yep, they can tip over - if you don't spend about 5-10 seconds to make sure they are sitting level - and at the beginning of the cooking the liquid will not be boiling hot.

This is one of those gizmos that gets a thumbs up for marketing - a thumbs down for necessity.

Here is something similar from Chefs catalog. The benefit of this one is if you are nervous of using a can with paint or dye or whatever they use on it, this is a good alternative.

Michael in FtW said:
As someone once said, "A FOOL AND HIS MONEY ARE SOON PARTED."

Yep, they can tip over - if you don't spend about 5-10 seconds to make sure they are sitting level - and at the beginning of the cooking the liquid will not be boiling hot.

This is one of those gizmos that gets a thumbs up for marketing - a thumbs down for necessity.

It's not the beginning of the cooking period you need to worry about, Michael.

I think $3 is a great insurance policy. Nothing foolish about playing it safe! But like I said, the whole idea is really just a novelty. You can grill or roast an equally good chick without the silliness. :-p

HanArt - I will have to say by far that a chicken grilled the beer can way is waaaaay better than a grilled whole chicken or chicken cooked/grilled any other way. The steam produced keeps the breast meat perfectly moist and if you don't take it off too soon the chicken will literally fall into the correct pieces. It is wonderful!

luvs_food said:
you can just stick the chicken on a half-can of beer. betcha game hens would be good like that but they're too little to fit!

Luvs could you drink a couple of small v8's and then put beer in them? They might fit into the game hens.

kitchenelf said:
HanArt - I will have to say by far that a chicken grilled the beer can way is waaaaay better than a grilled whole chicken or chicken cooked/grilled any other way.
I agree Kitchenelf. Beer can chicken is awesome, however, I will NOT cook with aluminum - thats just me.:neutral: This reminds me of a post by Storm2k.

Originally Posted by storm2k
I have noticed a few things/recipes/ideas in here for beer can chicken. I am real wary of this and can validate my worries. I do not believe this is safe at all and just on principles would warn everyone against it unless you do it in a safe manner. The melting point of aluminum (pure) is 660.37 °C or 1220.666 °F. Most "beer" cans are not "pure" aluminum and contain various other elements, including the paint on the can. I figure that you're cooking this painted can to at least 1/3 of its melting point for whatever meat, steaks or chicken, some ppl do fajitas this way. So, you're definately smoking and infusing all the paint fumes at the least and who knows what else into a raw chicken. I suspect the melt point on a beer can is alot lower than that stated for pure aluminum, probably like 900-1000F, heck maybe lower than what your cooking it at. To see what I mean do this, take a styrofoam cup, fill it with water. Put a bic lighter or a torch on a low flame to the outside of the cup. As long as you do not "pressure burst" with the flame you can hold the flame there a long time, it will only burn the cup down to the level of the liquid, even on the outer layers, all the way to the bottom of the cup, it will still hold water, so you could pour the beer in a styrofoam cup as long as the grill was cool and flat as you set it down (I think), and cook the chicken over that. I suspect this is the same with the aluminum can, the liquid is preventing the final breakdown. An easy test would be to set your gril at the specified temp, weigh a totally empty beer can, put the can in a cast iron skillet and let it sit in the grill for like 4 hours. See what happens. I am not going to do this as I am not that bored and would not cook anything like this anyway, but I just wanted people to realize this may be very dangerous, and/or have implications to your health as yet unknown. I smoke so I don't care, counting on the big C or a MI to take me out lol. There are all kinds of info sites regarding links between Alzheimers and Aluminum, just google it. I just think smoking, eating metal isn't real healthy, have a marlboro and take a geritol iron pill if you need both. For the "beer can chicken" , take a oven safe (to like 600f) stoneware mug, knock the handle off of it and put the chicken over that after you pour a beer into it and proceed as recipe states. The can is not a fundamental part of this recipe (or if it is and ppl say it tastes different with a can than with a stone or iron, then guess what, they like the taste of aluminum, it should not taste much different, but makes you think about all the things of whether beer taste better in a bottle or a can, should be same right?), you can cut the chicken up and do it in a dutch oven, or don't cut it, the beer and the steaming process is the main thing. Just a warning, like I said, I do not know and no proof exists but a thin piece of metal on hi temp seems that metal is going to melt and go somewhere, and you may eat it.

storm2K's quoted post if full of speculation and half thought out technical facts. Check to see how often he says, "I believe", or, "I suspect"... Not positive statements but rather words used by people who cannot prove what they are saying.

It's interesting to me that people will always remember the original SCARE that hits the news "Aluminium causes Alzheimers Disease", but no one ever remembers the later information, with scientific evidence, that the original claim was completely unfounded and just plain wrong.

The beer can, since it is still holding liquid, never gets significantly above 212 F. In my experience, the paint isn't even burned.

He is correct that any fireproof container that will hold liquid and not burn, will work in place of a beer can. Oh, BTW, I wouldn't use a styrofoam cup if I were you.

Spice1133 said:
Luvs could you drink a couple of small v8's and then put beer in them? They might fit into the game hens.

hey, that's a really good idea! thanks, spice!:)

I've got a couple recipes for "Beer-Can" chicken, or "Beer Butt" chicken, maybe even for "Tampon Chicken", as I've seen it referred to on this site. I haven't tried it yet. Just today, PeppA asked me if I would ever do that. I haven't gotten around to it yet.

I used to have a vertical chicken roaster, about 10 years ago. Think the wire stand, but it doesn't hold a can, just has a cyndrylical post that goes up through the body cavity to hold the bird upright. I got rid of it years ago, when I thought I wouldn't roast chicken again (boy, was I wrong on that!).

One thing to think about, if you are going to try roasting a Beer Can chicken at home, in your oven, try doing it in a 10" or 12" cast iron skillet. That pan will collect all the juices, and you can transfer the bird to a platter when it's done, and make a gravy from the drippings.

BTW, I smoked two chickens tonight. I had them flat out on their backs for 4 hours, and cooked them at a range of temps from 200 - 250°F, depend on how much fuel was burning. These were the moistest birds I've ever had, and I've even brined a few chickens, then roasted them. I didn't brine the two I did today.

Thanks everyone!! I'm getting my chicken for monday, woohoo!!! I'll let you know how it turns out. :eek:)

If I used one of Paul's beers for a chicken..you would find me sitting on the grill with a chicken on my head! LOL

Marge~Dove

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Ooooh Dove I think that Paul would be enjoying that chicken so much he would forget about the beer. I don't care for beer, but the chicken made that way is pure ambrosia. Never had chicken so juicy and delicious. Never.

Well, bought the chicken and beer {got me a 6 pack of bacardi silver watermelon too :) for me, not the chicken}

We'll have the chicken tomorrow. I just have to see what the fuss is about.

When I fixed the chicken, I fixed it in the oven. All I did was rub the chicken with salt and pepper, added a few stalks of celery inside the cavity, inserted beer (ouch), added some garlic, onion and a few spices inside the can (watch out it will fizz out some) and put a medium onion in the neck. The flavor was awesome. Don't know if any of the spices, onion or celery added anything to the chicken or not but was delish!!!! Oh noooo I am starting to sound like Rachael Rae.........no, no, help. :sick:

OMG, all of you were right!!!! That is the most moist chicken I have ever eaten!! Thanks to all of you!!

Back
Top Bottom