Strange Rolling Pin

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gerrycooks

Cook
I have a wooden rolling pin that has rows of pyramids down the length. Does anyone know what it is used for? The pyramids are bout 1/4 inch square.
I bought it at a warehouse sale of kitchen gadgets many years ago.

That would be my guess also. I've seen different designs on them, but don't know if I have seen the one you mention.

Gerrycooks said:
I have a wooden rolling pin that has rows of pyramids down the length. Does anyone know what it is used for? The pyramids are bout 1/4 inch square.
I bought it at a warehouse sale of kitchen gadgets many years ago.

Gerrycooks, I have this rolling pin too. I got mine at a thrift store years ago. It was in brand new condition. I collect rolling pins and this caught my eye, well, they all do. I have so many. My understanding when asking people over the years, in stores where they sell rolling pins like in Solvang, it's used to dock/doc/dok/doche dough. Puncuture/perforate it in other words. For what reason you'd want this done, I have no idea. I just got it for the looks. It will serve no useful purpose for me except that I enjoy rolling pins.

Thank you all for the answers. The docking sounds like what it was used for. The pyramids could not cut pie dough only make dents in it.

I'm not sure docking is the answer. There are docking tools and if you don't have one, you use a fork. Making dents in the dough wouldn't have the same effect.

Last edited:
The rolling pin is a Lefse rolling pin/ It is used for making Lefse a flat bread made from potatoes. It is cooked on a flat grill. If you look at the Maid of Scandavia web site it is D in the picture of rolling pins.

Back
Top Bottom