Suede baking mitten

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
They look nice but having never used them couldn't comment on how good they are. They are similar to a set I have here that I do like real well. And I have another set of gloves that only covers to the wrist that are all cloth and have a superior grip, but they don't cover as far down the arm and they don't cover as high a heat. IE I take something out of the oven, I got a minute tops before the heat comes thru to my hand.
So I guess in my experience I expect to give up some grip in exchange for better heating protection.

Many things I am willing to buy thru the Internet, but things that have to 'fit' on me I prefer to be able to try on first.

Well, they don't look the part but it does say they protect up to 540 degrees although that protection does end at the wrists.
Still, if they do what they say, they would provide much more dexterity.

Thanks, Katie but I think the fellers have a point. Maybe JoeV, bread baker extraordinaire will weigh in. I hope so.

My husband got me a pair of these and I like them. I also have a suede handle mitt for my Calphalon pan. The suede works great. I prefer mittens when removing things from the oven as my fingers will stay together. The kevlar gloves are a bit clumsy and awkward, to me anyway. It doesn't stop me from using them though. I do like the looks of those mitts. I like how they come up your arm. Good for short people who have to reach in ovens!

Last edited:
That is the problem in a nutshell--I wish the kevlar gloves were longer or that the suede mitts would allow for more dexterity. I knew this would be a great group to ask!

I fear dropping the hot la cloche and getting burnt. So, I wanted something that would withstand how hot the clay vessel would become and that would protect me.

I stopped short because the gloves don't go beyond the wrist--and the mitts might not give me enough dexterity.

I was hoping those like you with experience would know what was best.

I added being left-handed because statistically we are more prone to accidents because we are living in a world designed for right-handed folks.

I actually think the suede mitts will offer more dexterity. Think about it this way - in the mitts you get to keep your fingers tightly together, allowing you to grip your cloche with all your fingers...even though in a mitt. There is a lot of bulk around each finger with the kevlar mitts.

I know that kitchen supply company is excellent. I have bought from them before. Thanks, kitchenelf. The last thing I want to do is burn the living daylights out of myself. Having done so before with an oven, I do not want to revisit that pain. The blister was huge and....well, I do not need to go into the gory details. My friend, Andy, of blessed memory, use to have asbestos fingers. Unfortunately, I do not.

The La Cloche has a loop to grab to lift it off. I wear 15" & 17" quilted oven mitts from Bauer Restaurant Supply in Mentor, and don't have any problem. Same gloves we use in the church kitchen for loading/unloading the ovens. They cost about $3.50 each if i remember. You can spend more if you want, but these work well. You can call them at 440-951-6551

I am also left handed. What does that have to do with getting burned? :huh:

I have never seen fingered gloves for oven use. I have always used mitts. There are some new generation fabrics that are supposedly more heat resistant, so that the mitt can be less padded and still protect the hand. I got a couple of samples a few years ago at the NRA show. They are the best mitts I have.

I have no knowledge of the mitts you are asking about.

^ I thought that I explained that above. Left-handed people are statistically more prone to accidents because we live in a world engineered for right-handed folks.

Thanks for all the input. I decided to go with the mittens and ordered them last night. I may wind up buy the kevlor gloves as well--we shall see.

My friend and I thought we would do a bread and soup swap during the winter.

Good choice, PieSusan. They will cover your forearms, and should be easy on and off. Probably more supple than the welders' gloves I recommended. And the kevlar gloves...the important part of those around hot stoves isn't the kevlar, it's the Nomex...they use it in flight suits and cover-alls for automobile racers. Could be your foot in the door of NASCAR!

Back
Top Bottom