Tater Mitts - who wants to be first?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
bethzaring said:
ohhhh, I get a reaction to potatoes when I can them. It gets worse as the canning season progresses. I am okay for the first few canner loads, but later on, my hands get unbearably red and itchy

Yikes, 25 bucks??
Bethzaring - Have you ever tried the cheap plastic server gloves you can get from a bulk selling store like Costco? They might help. Casper

Wouldn't you know I saw these potato mitts tested on the local news last night, so here's the poop;
They work, they're messy and you don't save much time. They showed a clogged sink after doing a few spuds.
So I guess if you were sharp implement impaired.... these would be the ticket. :cool:

27 dollars for a pair of latex gloves that have some abrasiveness to them? Come on.

Here's a simpler solution: Put on a pair of REGULAR latex gloves if you really don't want to bust out a peeler or a knife and do the exact same thing. A freshly boiled potato's skin will come off fairly easily, regardless. The main problem with using your hands for doing it is the potato holds heat really well and it can burn your hands.

Heh, I'd almost consider these:P I'm finding my s****y new peelers aren't standing up to vegetables very well, and my hands are starting to get exhausted peeling enough veggies just for me.

Even my ceramic peeler (I'm ever-spoilt by my gadget loving boyfriend) seems to be defenceless against the might o' the Irish Veggie.

I wonder how effective they are on potatos that have "spots" on them or brown cracks running thru them---I'd imagine that you'd still have to get out the ol' knife and cut that stuff out. Not that most potatoes have these problems but if you by them by the bag you are going to run into a few. Personally, I'd rather use a very good peeler (like OXO, Farberware, etc) and if you're allergic to potatoes put on a pair of disposable latex gloves that you can buy in a box at Walmart or any drugstore. Of course if I got them as a gift I'd definitely give them a try. :)

I have been known to peel a potato or two with one of those yellow 3M sponges with green ScotchBrite glued to the back. Of course, now I only buy the blue 3M sponges because they are designed to scour without scratching your stainless.

tater mitts

Don't bother with these. I received a pair from my aunt and made her return them. It is faster to use a peeler. You have to boil the potaoes first and then use the mitts. The skins block your drain and it is more of a mess. Certainly no worth 19.99.

If I boil potatoes whole, I remove the skins with a couple of sheets of paper towel. I put the potato in the paper towel and "wipe" off the skin. Works great and costs me a couple of sheets of paper towels.

Not to mention the amount of water being wasted whilst scrubbing away! Wonder if they'd be good for ... nah, can't think of anything!

What always crosses my mind when viewing infomertials for useless contraptions is, who thinks this stuff up and who funds it?:huh:

As regards the "snotty" egg separator, I've seen this before and rather like it, not as a serious kitchen implement of course, just as a fun item. At least it's interesting, in a funky sculptural sense, and could serve as a crock for small kitchen gadgets/teaspoons, as an herb pot, or just as an eccentric piece on a shelf!

But more importantly, it has great potential when trying to entertain the grandkids :LOL:

G

gourmande said:
...As regards the "snotty" egg separator, I've seen this before and rather like it, not as a serious kitchen implement of course, just as a fun item. At least it's interesting, in a funky sculptural sense, and could serve as a crock for small kitchen gadgets/teaspoons, as an herb pot, or just as an eccentric piece on a shelf!

But more importantly, it has great potential when trying to entertain the grandkids :LOL:

G

Word is it only works on medium eggs or smaller and only some of the time.

gourmande said:
Not to mention the amount of water being wasted whilst scrubbing away!
G

I agree! What a waste of water! I live in Australia and pretty much our whole country is in drought and has been for years, just use a peeler!

Back
Top Bottom