Tater Mitts - who wants to be first?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pacanis

Chef Extraordinaire
I guess this belongs here, under jokes. I didn't see a "gadget" topic :rolleyes:
So, does someone want to get them and let me know how they work? :LOL:
Tater Mitts

What'll they come up with next?

Wow. Up until about 3 years ago...every time I peeled potatoes my hands and arms would turn red and itch like crazy. My eyes would swell and also be beet red. If these really work I would have loved to have them!

Luckily now I can peel away with no side effects.

ohhhh, I get a reaction to potatoes when I can them. It gets worse as the canning season progresses. I am okay for the first few canner loads, but later on, my hands get unbearably red and itchy

Yikes, 25 bucks??

It takes me about 8 seconds or less to use a veggie peeler to peel a potato. This would just be one more thing I need to find room for in my kitchen. Looks like it would be kind of fun to use though (maybe).

Looked like a Saturday Nite Live skit almost.

I loved the implicit suggestion that you cannot make potato salad or mashed potatoes without it!

Do you think when it starts to get old you wouldn't need parsley in your potatoes cos you'd have blue flecks through them instead?:rolleyes: And would it take the 'eyes' out?
What they might be good for is taking the mud off shoes or boots! Then again they'd probably take the leather off as well!:ermm:

I've never even seen these. But wait there's more ! I think I'll stick with my veggie peeler.

Last edited:
middie said:
I've never even seen these. But wait there's more ! I think I'll stick with my veggie peeler.

:LOL: Yeah.... when I saw the commercial and they said 19.99 I knew there was a "but wait, there's more" coming up.

Surprisingly, or maybe not so, I was watching the military channel. A special on aircraft carriers. Maybe they think the navy will pick them up for KP duty :wacko:

KP has a big potato peeler that peels many pounds at a time. :LOL: It kinda reminds me of a Kitchen Aid. I can't even begin to imagine how many pounds of taters are lost with that.

Oh the horror...to a potato lover. :pig:

I think I, too, was watching the Military Channel when I saw this advertised and thought I was seeing things!

I don't want to totally discount its ability to scrub the skin off a big bunch-o-taters quickly - but like csalt mentions, you still need to break out your paring knife to cut out the eyes ... unless you just keep rubbing away until you've rubbed away enough potato to get below that level. And, there is the question of durability. So, I would have to say it might be worth it for some people - not worth it for others.

My main problem is with their claim, "... leaves all the healthy vitamins and minerals with no waste ..." which is bogus. The skin contains the majority of the potato's fiber, and many of it's nutrients are located just under the skin - which this gizmo will scrub away - and the skin will be waste. Well, you get the same loss with peeling a potato with a peeler or knife ... but in my small mind they are making a claim here that can't substantiated and is misleading, even if not intentionally.

Half Baked said:
KP has a big potato peeler that peels many pounds at a time. :LOL: It kinda reminds me of a Kitchen Aid. I can't even begin to imagine how many pounds of taters are lost with that.

Oh the horror...to a potato lover. :pig:

When I was in the U.S. Army, circa 1966, we used what looked like a front loading washing machine, but the tub was lined with an abrasive substance that just "sandpapered" the skin right off the potatoes. This thing would easily hold fifty pounds of potatoes at a time.

poor Klinger from M*A*S*H ... he coulda definitely used a pair of those. He just had a pairing knife every time he was on KP and peeling potatoes.

maybe I should keep my mouf shut but seems to me ifn a person can't peel a spud without hurtin' him or herself, he/she should be eatin' boxed or frozen product. Hmmm, paper cuts?

:LOL: Those were made by some of those college students who took a survey here. :LOL:

Hope to see them on the Tonight Show with Jay's "sold/not sold" & after everybody says "sold" he can bring them out and get $25 a pair!!!:LOL:

Caution: Don't ever wear them near a squirrel! :ohmy:

Back
Top Bottom