"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cook's Tools
Click Here to Login

Old 05-18-2019, 11:45 PM   #1
Chef Extraordinaire

Teaspoon ingredients

You know those tiny bowls on ATK that they use to dump their ingredients in after measuring them out? Well, every time I look for the smallest ones I can only find them as part of a graduated set. I don't need the whole set, I just want the small ones that ATK place their teaspoons of ingredients.

Any idea where I could find them in multiples of the same size?

Old 05-19-2019, 12:18 AM   #2
Sous Chef

Addie, I have a bunch of little SS "sauce cups", that I place my ingredients in, both dry and liquid, when setting up a recipe, mise en place. When measuring the ingredients out, I measure them into a cup, looking at when they will be added to the dish - this way, only one addition, with maybe 3 or 4 ingredients - much easier and quicker this way, esp. in many of those Asian dishes I make.

Here's a photo showing an example. is this the type of thing you are thinking of?
IMG_20181214_190319130 by pepperhead212, on Flickr

And here's a page from a restaurant supply, showing the variety of these cups. The ones I have are the 2.5 oz. SS, which stack up inside each other, so that I have about 20 of them in about a 2" stack.
https://www.webstaurantstore.com/cho...SAUCE25SS.html

And here's what Amazon has - a little higher price, but this includes shipping - you don't have to buy a huge amount to get free shipping!
https://www.amazon.com/s?k=sauce+cup...b_sb_ss_i_6_10

Old 05-19-2019, 12:23 AM   #3
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
You know those tiny bowls on ATK that they use to dump their ingredients in after measuring them out? Well, every time I look for the smallest ones I can only find them as part of a graduated set. I don't need the whole set, I just want the small ones that ATK place their teaspoons of ingredients.

Any idea where I could find them in multiples of the same size?
Or...just use your cutting board or a paper plate for the small tsp measurements. Works great for a small household such as yours, and mine. Less to wash.
Old 05-19-2019, 12:44 AM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

+1 Cheryl.

ATK and other shows use those little cups for TV teaching purposes. Why would I bother with them in my own kitchen? I use one custard cup for all the dry spices, and another one for wet. It works perfectly for me.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 02:56 AM   #5
Master Chef

I agree with others that measure things out onto a plate, waxed paper, etc...

I have a couple of the tiny bowls from a graduated set that I found in a thrift shop. I use them to hold small amounts of various condiments like salad dressing, catsup, melted butter, etc... for dipping.

If you are set on the idea of using the cups head for the Dollar Store and buy a package of plastic shot glasses.

Good luck.
Aunt Bea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 04:26 AM   #6
Head Chef

Little cups are a nuisance in the dishwasher. I have some cheap small plates, several different sizes. Like others, I put the dry ingredients on one plate. Cut veggies, etc. go on larger plates as required. I also use the little plates for spoon / utensil rests. After contact with raw meat they go into the dishwasher, along with the utensil.
Old 05-19-2019, 08:54 AM   #7
Certified Pretend Chef

Here.

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=glass+mis...l_7ct07090mt_e
Old 05-19-2019, 11:04 AM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
I have used small plates for mise en place for years. I often find that tiny, shallow bowls would be more convenient, at least for some of it. DH says he has a bunch that were bought for another purpose, but he hasn't gotten around to using them yet, so I can have them. We actually just discussed it last night during supper. I haven't seen them yet, but I'm looking forward to it.
Old 05-19-2019, 03:12 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

For years I have been standing in front of my cabinet where all my seasonings and spices are. With the recipe taped to the inside of the door, I have my measuring spoons in hand, and go down the list and add them into a coffee cup. Or if they are to go into flour, I measure out the flour first. But there have been moments when I am interrupted I find myself asking "Did I already add that?"

Since part of my recovery is learning to do chores while standing on one leg, I think I would do better if I found a better way to measure out small amounts of ingredients. I find myself trying to play a balancing game along with measuring. Right now I am more concerned with learning to balance than worry about washing numerous small items. There is no danger in washing small dishes, but there sure is if I take a tumble in the kitchen because I lost my balance.

Since I tend to avoid recipes that have a very long list of ingredients, the most I would need are approximately ten.

Thanks everyone for coming to my rescue. Now onto the road to recovery!

I will let you know which ones I chose to go with.
Old 05-19-2019, 04:22 PM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
For years I have been standing in front of my cabinet where all my seasonings and spices are. With the recipe taped to the inside of the door, I have my measuring spoons in hand, and go down the list and add them into a coffee cup. Or if they are to go into flour, I measure out the flour first. But there have been moments when I am interrupted I find myself asking "Did I already add that?"
You need a method of setting up a mise en place (everything in its place), but a bunch of little dishes isn't the only way to do it.*

I first pull out everything I will need for a dish - this also ensures that I have everything, and enough of everything, that I will need. Then I measure and prepare each ingredient and put it in a pile on an extra cutting board or in a measuring cup, etc. As I measure each, I move the container or whatever to a different area of the counter. That way, I know what I have added and what I haven't, without the need for a bunch of little dishes.

*In my case, though, DH has bought me a bunch of little dishes over the years for Christmas stocking gifts that are perfect for this purpose. Sometimes I use them and sometimes I don't. But they're certainly not necessary, and he cleans up the kitchen since I cook