The Best Kitchen Tool

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
my ancient food processor that I inherited from grandma's estate.
LUV IT. Its probably 30 years old and still going strong.

Toots said:
my ancient food processor that I inherited from grandma's estate.
LUV IT. Its probably 30 years old and still going strong.

Hi Toots,

Thnx..you know I've never owned a food processor!..I do have my avocado green Osterizer from the 70's, though:LOL:

My antique MagicChef range/stove that my grandfather modified in ways I don't get (yet). It cooks like a professional setup. Other than that, it's got to be my Sabatier (elephant) carbon steel knives. They faithfully perform every task I ask of them.

My knives are my best friend!!!! But my mom and dad had some oldies but goodies in their kitchen that I wished I would have kept!!! The one thing I did keep was an old green collander, at least 20 years old. I use that tool quite frequently!

The two things I failed to get was an aluminum pot that my dad used to cook popcorn in (the old fashion way!) amongst other things. And a small fry pan that sat on the stove with bacon grease (never washed) that was used for cooking eggs. Boy that thing had seen better days!!! Plus it had a blue green lid...

Why oh why did I not keep those!!!!

A good knife. I cook or help out in many homes of freinds and/or family, and often wish I'd taken my own knife with me. I'm amazed at how many people can somehow turn out a decent meal when they can't cut anything.

I can't say that I have an absolute favorite, but these are the few things I CANNOT live without:

Shun 6 in. Chef's Knife
- A sharp knife that is small enough that I don't cut myself, fits perfectly in my hand - gotta love it!

Braun Mixer/Immersion Blender/Mini Food Processor
- I use it almost every day. I find that dragging out my big food processor is just too time consuming and it has too many parts to wash. Plus, this set has an Immersion Blender and the beaters to turn it into a Hand Mixer. Love it, love it, love it!

All-Clad Colander
- I don't know why I feel this is the best colander I've every used. Has nothing to do with the "brand name". The holes are a perfect size, it has some weight to is, so it doesn't tip over when I'm dumping a huge pot of pasta into it, and it has kept it's shine up after years and years and years of use.

15 inch Cast Iron Frying Pan
- Can you believe my mother-in-law was getting rid of it?!?!? :ohmy:
It is old (she had it for 20 years and bought it used at an estate sale), flat surface - not like the new ones today, and very very well-seasoned. I can make 3 grilled cheese sandwiches at the same time, can make 3 pieces of french toast, and stir-fry enough veggies to feed 4 hungry men!! What's not to love!

Can't narrow it down to only one tool. I think I'd have to say my 2-quart measuring cup/bowl is one of my kitchen "must" haves. I use it for everything, especially since it's made of glass. I use it in the microwave all the time and I also use it as a proofing bowl for some of the breads I make.

It's also useful for mixing cakes, cornbread and other batters. Because it has markings on the side, I don't have to dirty other cups/utensils when I prepare recipes. Although, I have to add that, usually, I cook using an electronic scale so I mess up far fewer cups/spoons/measuring items anyway. In that case, add an electronic scale as a real "must" have.

My other favorite tool is my microplane grater. I probably use it at least once a day. Zesting citrus, turning small quantities of dried bread into crumbs, shredding chocolate for desserts, grating cheeses, mincing garlic, etc. There are more uses I can't think of at the moment. Love this handy tool.

I immediately thought of my knives. So many things after that. I guess the next most used would be my silicone spatulas. Have a bunch in different sizes and shapes and use them constantly!

Back
Top Bottom