"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cook's Tools

Old 09-09-2015, 10:20 AM   #1
Assistant Cook

The Durability of Scissors

I eat lots of meat, and i store most of it in the freezer.
My cooking therefore generally involves lots of cutting up meat into small manageable chunks, often for curries and stir fries.

I used to do that with a knife, it was painful and time consuming and generally annoying. Then a couple of years ago, i magically remembered that scissors exist

Scissors changed everything, my meat cutting is now waaaay faster, and they can easily cut meat that's fully defrosted, or part frozen. So i've been using scissors a lot.

And i've used a lot of scissors! It seems like every couple of weeks i have to go out and buy new ones, because the ones i was using have stopped cutting things properly along most of their length, only the section closest to the handles still severs anything. This is getting annoying.

I got a knife sharpener in hopes of being able to repair them, but that was a miserable failure. It might even have made things worse.

At the moment i'm looking at a particular pair of long scissors that are now worthless, and trying to figure out why they won't cut. I seem to have detected the issue; The blades are bowed out slightly
The screw holding them together is still tight, and they sit flush together around it. And also at the tip. But about the middle of the blades, there's a slight gap between the two of them. About a millimetre, but it's definitely visible from the right angle. The metal is actually bent outwards.
I suspect this is the main thing that keeps breaking them.

Now what can i do about it?
Is there any reasonable way to repair this sort of damage?
Does the fact that it's even happening just mean that my scissors are cheap junk? And if so, can anyone recommend something that will last?

Whatever the answer, i'm sick of constantly buying new ones, i need a better option. Advice please x

Old 09-09-2015, 10:24 AM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef

Your problem suggests scissors are not the right tool for the job. Properly sharpened knives will get the job done with much less effort and more quickly than scissors.

Old 09-09-2015, 10:26 AM   #3
Senior Cook

Mine are Henckels, which are expensive, but so worth it. They stay sharp and I have used them now for over 4 years without having to get them sharpened. So you pay more upfront, however, you get longer wear out of them. I agree, using scissors to cut meat is far easier on the hands. I have excellent knives, also by Henckel, but with arthritis, the scissors help me a lot.
Old 09-09-2015, 10:43 AM   #4
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoodieFanatic View Post
Mine are Henckels, which are expensive, but so worth it. They stay sharp and I have used them now for over 4 years without having to get them sharpened. So you pay more upfront, however, you get longer wear out of them. I agree, using scissors to cut meat is far easier on the hands. I have excellent knives, also by Henckel, but with arthritis, the scissors help me a lot.
I have nothing to add except I endorse Henckel as well and use them constantly. Mine are 23 years old.
Old 09-09-2015, 11:15 AM   #5
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Your problem suggests scissors are not the right tool for the job. Properly sharpened knives will get the job done with much less effort and more quickly than scissors.
I have to disagree
Cutting raw chicken breast with a knife just does not work. You get most of the way through and its always left hanging on by strings and sinews. Or it moves and wiggles around under the knife

Scissors can cut it properly because they don't just cut through, they keep going afterwards, so any sinews are severed no matter how thin and tough

And the blades attacking the meat from both sides holds it in place while it's cutting it, preventing it from slipping out
Old 09-09-2015, 11:17 AM   #6
Certified Pretend Chef

I'm glad you've found a method that works for you.
Old 09-09-2015, 11:28 AM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

Partially freezing chicken or meat firms it up enough to cut it easily with a sharp knife. I do use kitchen shears to cut the backbone out of a whole chicken, but otherwise, knives work great for me.
Old 09-09-2015, 12:07 PM   #8
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanako View Post
I have to disagree
Cutting raw chicken breast with a knife just does not work. You get most of the way through and its always left hanging on by strings and sinews. Or it moves and wiggles around under the knife

Scissors can cut it properly because they don't just cut through, they keep going afterwards, so any sinews are severed no matter how thin and tough

And the blades attacking the meat from both sides holds it in place while it's cutting it, preventing it from slipping out
I also disagree with you.
There is no way a pair of scissor can do the job a good sharp knife can do.
Can you slice roast beef with scissors?
Can you cut up a 2-3 inch sirloin steak into chunks for a kabob?
Can you cut through tendon when cutting up a whole chicken?
Can you cut up anything thats thick?

Scissors do have their place in the kitchen. But cutting up meat or anything for that matter is not what they are designed for.
Save scissors for cutting perfect circles of parchment when making a layer cake.
Your statement regarding having to replace the scissors often, is a fine example you are using scissors for the wrong reasons.
Get a good knife, keep it sharp and see scissors are not the answer.
A sharp knife supersedes scissors in the kitchen each and every time.
Old 09-09-2015, 12:38 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
When I cut up a chicken, I cut off the limbs with a knife. If I want boneless breast, that's done with a knife. Otherwise, once the limbs are off, the rest gets done with kitchen shears. I also sometimes cut bacon with shears.
Old 09-09-2015, 12:52 PM   #10
Assistant Cook

re: Henckel, can you guys be more specific?

a search is turning up a lot of things like this

What even is that? How is that supposed to fit a human hand. It looks like a device designed for the sole purpose of causing RSI

The scissors i use all look like this

A thumb on one side, multiple fingers on the other. The way a hand generally holds things.

are these not even scissors?