"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cook's Tools

Old 02-02-2006, 01:54 PM   #1
Senior Cook

The pasta cooking 'tube' Pasta Express?

Has anyone seen the commercial for this newfangled way to cook pasta, veggies, shrimp etc..? It's a cheap plastic tube with a strainer cover and a thermal cover. You add your pasta, then add in boiling water, and VOILA, in 8 minutes (the same amount of time it takes to cook pasta in a regular pot, mind you), you have perfectly cooked pasta that you can strain right from the tube!

Now, I don't about this, as (once again) boiling the water and cooking it in a pot would take the same amount of time as this gadget, not to mention the fact that you use about 4 qts of water to boil pasta in a pot, preventing gumminess and sticking...SO, my question is, out of sheer curiosity, has anyone purchased this, and if so, does it actually work well? Does the pasta come out fine, even with so little water? If it does, the only plus I can think of, is not having to clean a pot. LOL

Lisa110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2006, 02:38 PM   #2
Executive Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Michelemarie
I have never used it, but also saw the commercial for it - and am as curious as you are.

Old 02-02-2006, 02:43 PM   #3
Chief Eating Officer

I have seen the commercial also and thought it was one of the stupidest kitchen gadgets yet. Lisa you mentioned most of the reason why it is a bad idea, but here is one more. As soon as you take the water and pour it into the container it is no longer boiling. So for 8 minutes your pasta is sitting in water that is getting cooler and cooler.
Old 02-02-2006, 02:59 PM   #4
Executive Chef

I've seen the commercial and just because something is moving about doesn't mean it is cooking. I haven't seen much advertised on those programs that work as well as they are reported.If you want one, wait a few days and you can probably find it in someone's yard sale.
Old 02-02-2006, 04:02 PM   #5
Senior Cook

I definitely don't want one of these, but I'm curious to find out if it actually works. I'm hoping someone here bought one out of 'curiosity'. LOL

One time, I happened to have a kettle of boiling water that I used to make hot chocolate. I was making a lasagne that day, so I figured I would cut time and pour the boiling water over the lasagne noodles, which I layed out next to each other in a shallow pan. I covered it tight with foil and plastic wrap..let it sit for about 15 minutes, only to be greeted by the gummiest, easily broken noodles I had ever seen LOL. Hey, I kind of had a feeling that would happen, but I had to try it! Now, when I want to cut time, I just use the no boil noodles.

In any event, this is how I imagine the Pasta Express pasta comes out. It's amazing what these 'inventors' get away with!
Old 02-02-2006, 04:03 PM   #6
Master Chef

I just saw the commerical on a website.

It looks scientifically impossible.

They make cooking pasta the regular way seem about as easy as launching the space shuttle. Big pot, cracking pasta in half -- and ALL THAT DIFFICULT STRAINING! Reminds me of "The Perfect Pancake" featuring poor people who were overchallenged by the simple flipping of a flapjack.
Old 02-02-2006, 04:15 PM   #7
Chief Eating Officer

LOL it reminded me of the same thing Jenny. They really do make it look like people are more stupid than rocks.
Old 02-02-2006, 04:44 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Yahoo to middie
not to mention there are no handles on the thing so i'm sure people are burning their hands on this
Old 02-03-2006, 04:27 AM   #9
Senior Cook

middle, that's so true, I didn't even think about that! Imagine all the lawsuits, replete with people lining up with bandaged hands. If McDonalds could/can be sued for 6 figures over coffee burns, this one ought to be a piece of cake. LOL
Old 02-03-2006, 05:19 AM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

there is no way it works with pasta. have you ever tried boiling a pot of water, tossing in the pasta, and not stirred it? the long strands of pasta seal together in clumps, with some getting soft, others not getting cooked at all because they're sealed off from the water. no way it works without some kind of agitation.

as far as shellfish and veggies, it's the same as blanching, but instead of a rolling boil and an ice water bath shock, you're just removing it from the boil and letting it begin to lose heat, slowly.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote