Thermapen do you have it?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Julio

Senior Cook
Hello,

I have a question about the thermapen thermometer. I'm going to buy but I have one question about it. How do you know if the internal temp of lets say a 5 inch piece of meat if you only insert 1/8" of the probe? The current one that I have polder I have to enter the whole probe to the middle to know the internal temp.

You still insert the probe halfway into the meat, so it's in the center. It's just the very tip that registers the temperature.
If I am understanding your question right.

You're welcome.
That said, I'm not all that impressed with my Thermapen. My $14 Taylor did pretty much the same thing. They make some thin probe thermometers, also.

I love my Thermapen although it failed me last time I used it. I was brewing beer for the first time and was using my pen to ensure everything was at the right temp. The battery decided to give up as soon as I started and everything was showing 1500 degrees or more.

I love my Thermapen although it failed me last time I used it. I was brewing beer for the first time and was using my pen to ensure everything was at the right temp. The battery decided to give up as soon as I started and everything was showing 1500 degrees or more.

That stinks. I hope you have a back up.

What kind of beer are you making, GB?

Nope, no backup. But I figured people have been making beer for thousands of years without thermometers so I should be fine.

This is my first attempt. It is a summer wheat beer.

I hope it turns out for you. I've never made beer. I'm committed to the demand side of the supply and demand formula.

I have one and love it and am very impressed with it. I used to use it in cheesemaking and when I had two gallons of milk heating in a double boiler/bain Marie, I could move the thermopen around in the milk and have the temperatures vary by up to 20*F. Knocked my socks off. I realized it was very important to slowly stir the milk to find the correct temp.

Beth, it is accuracy like that that would have me only giving it three stars.
The temp in the chicken I am grilling can vary by 20F and I know it's done. And it is. For some reason I could stick my el cheapo Taylor in and get the same reading in three different spots, not so with the Thermapen. It's accurate to a fault... if that's possible, lol.

I have two of them, an older one and the newer Splashproof. Both of them agree 100% and are dead on in an ice bath & boiling water. They both also agree with my Sous Vide Supreme to the degree, which is pretty cool.

I wouldn't be without my Thermapens!

I have the red one. I like the looks of the brown one though. If I were getting it again I think I would get the brown.

I use an "Oregon Scientific Thermo Sensor" Model AWR 129. I stick the probe into the thickest part of the meat and grill or fry it until the alarm goes off, ten degrees before the meat is done.

It's remote and has no wires. I can set it next to me where ever I am and it has a display that shows the set-temp and current temp.

Every piece of meat I've cooked with it has turned out perfect.

I heard red is fastest. But like GB I also like brown. My brown framed single speed bike has that attention getting, classic look, but no speed.
It will be a toss up between the two colors.

It's remote and has no wires. I can set it next to me where ever I am and it has a display that shows the set-temp and current temp.
I don't trust the wireless feature of my Maverick et73. I know there are mods that can be made to improve range and their newer model addressed and correct most issues.
I use the probe but not wirelessly.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom