Thermometer....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Angie

Head Chef
I'm gonna go get a thermometer tomorrow. I'm tired of over cooking chicken and can't seem to get the "meat" thermometers to work (??? user error I'm sure)...

So, help???

Target : Kitchen + Housewares : Tools + Gadgets : Thermometers

I have to have an instant read one. I used to use my "candy" thermometer for chicken but that leaves huge holes in the meat!:LOL:

I really don't want to spend more than $20...and I don't know if I'll be at Target or not..I just want general "yes" and "no" for the options that Target has. Actually I'll probably be at Walmart cuz I spend way too much cash at Target!!

Thanks!

The yellow one on the top row is the best for your home needs. Check it's calibration from time to time by imersing the probe into water filled with ice cubes. It should read 32 when you do that. If it does, you know it's accurate.

Vera is right on. Also test it's accuracy in boiling water. If both ends of the scale, boiling water and ice water, register true, the in betweens will be good as well.

I only use instant-reads occasionally, to double-check my probe thermometers, if I'm still in doubt. I use probe thermometers most of the time for chicken and roasts.

I have a Taylor probe thermometer like the one on the top left, and love it. The probe thermometers limit the number of times you open the cooker and the number of times you poke the meat.

Lee

I am very happy with my Polder, and it wasn't very expensive. I use it stove top, oven, and charcoal grill with great results. I go to Joy or some other cookbook to get a target time and temp, and it always delivers (my model can both set a time and temp, and they are always close). I especially like it for pork and poultry (since I'll eat beef -- yes I know some will be disgusted -- even raw that isn't much of an issue)

Vera is right on. Also test it's accuracy in boiling water. If both ends of the scale, boiling water and ice water, register true, the in betweens will be good as well.

But know what temperature water is supposed to boil at for your elevation. Here in Denver, the boiling point is 206°, not 212°. :chef:

But know what temperature water is supposed to boil at for your elevation. Here in Denver, the boiling point is 206°, not 212°. :chef:

Good point but Angie lives in Iowa where the highest elevation is less than 2000 feet.

I like to cook chicken on the BBQ. To know if it's done, there should be some grey (cooked colour) spreading to the top. If you lift it off the grill, the bottom should be firm. Give 1 more minute or so, then flip. Check the firmness on both sides to be sure, add about 1 minute then serve. I use a thermometer only for large roasts in the oven or for some style of meat I've never made or made well before. When grilling chicken, I have the thermometer near me if I'm unsure. I like to estimate then let it sit a little longer to be safe. If I'm doubtful, I use the thermometer before serving anything.

Back
Top Bottom