"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cook's Tools

Old 02-06-2007, 12:53 PM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drama Queen
I bought an oven thermometer to check the temp in my oven and it showed a 25 degree difference. I called a repair man to calibrate my oven and he said it was right on. The thermometer was off. So much for that. It's like getting a second opinion from a doctor. Who's right??
You can check the accuracy of your thermometer by bringing a pot of water to a full boil. Water boils at 212 degrees F. Put your thermometer in the water. If it registers 212 degrees F, it's accurate. I do that from time to time with all my cooking thermometers to be sure they're on target.

Old 02-06-2007, 01:51 PM   #12
Senior Cook

boiling water

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie E
You can check the accuracy of your thermometer by bringing a pot of water to a full boil. Water boils at 212 degrees F. Put your thermometer in the water. If it registers 212 degrees F, it's accurate. I do that from time to time with all my cooking thermometers to be sure they're on target.
You would have to make sure you are using pure distilled water because any minerals/chemicals/salts change the boiling temp.

Poutine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 08:36 PM   #13
Master Chef

DO NOT go sticking an OVEN THERMOMETER into a pot of boiling water to check it's calibration unless it is a "liquid bulb" type and/or specifically states that it is "dishwasher safe". I have never seen a "dial type" oven thermometer that you could test that way - that's why I don't use them.

Digital thermometers should have two calibration settings - a "zero" setting for 32ºF and a "span" setting for 212ºF. This works on a logarithmic scale to get you "as close as possible to the standard deviation" (degree of accuracy)of the thermometer as possible.

Poutine - not only should one use distilled water, they should also compensate for the altitude compensated Local Barometric Pressure - water only boils at 212ºF if the BP is 29.92 in/Hg at sea level. For example, at sea level, if the BP is 28.0 in/Hg (like if a Low pressure system is sitting overhead) the boiling point of water is 208.44ºF. If there is a high pressure system overhead and the BP is up to 31 in/Hg - the boiling point moves up to 214ºF. Unless you're using scientific grade thermometers ... 1-3ºF is within the acceptable normal range of deviation for a good thermometer.

Personally - I use a bulb type candy/fry thermometer to calibrate my digital/dial thermometers.
Old 02-10-2007, 10:02 PM   #14
Executive Chef

I've been meaning to buy an oven thermometer, but haven't gotten around to it yet.
Old 03-05-2007, 05:20 PM   #15
Master Chef

There is a big difference between baking (i.e., breads, pastry etc) and other kinds of cooking (i.e., roasting a chicken, braising, etc). The former is an exact science and the temps and times are more exacting. I am NOT a baker, and use a thermometer with a remote monitor, and it makes sure my meat is ready to serve, and the EXACT oven temp simply doesn't matter that much.
Old 03-11-2007, 08:28 PM   #16
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie E
I always use an oven thermometer. Our oven is essentially brand new but I learned early on that when I set the temp and let it preheat, say to 350 degrees F, when the oven "beeped" to tell me the oven was ready, it lied.

In fact, the oven was more than 20 degrees from my set temp. Preheating is an important step in cooking nearly everything. A greater than 20-degree difference in beginning to cook something can make a huge difference in the end result.

I wouldn't be without my oven thermometer.
I had the same experience with our oven when it was brand new (and it hasn't changed in 4 years) . Now I don't trust ANY oven temp. gauge, I don't care how old, new, fancy or plain jane it is. I always use an oven thermometer.
Old 03-11-2007, 08:30 PM   #17
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire
There is a big difference between baking (i.e., breads, pastry etc) and other kinds of cooking (i.e., roasting a chicken, braising, etc). The former is an exact science and the temps and times are more exacting. I am NOT a baker, and use a thermometer with a remote monitor, and it makes sure my meat is ready to serve, and the EXACT oven temp simply doesn't matter that much.
I have one of those thermometers, too!
Old 04-12-2007, 03:17 PM   #18
Assistant Cook

Oven Temperature Question ? thermometer

Just wondering how many out there calibrate their ovens or check the temp of their oven via a calibrated thermometer. I have a new Wolf gas range and am wondering if this is something that I need to do.

Many Thanks

Bob J
Old 04-12-2007, 03:27 PM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
I highly recommend getting/having an oven thermometer. I have ALWAYS used one. No matter how "good" your oven is, there is still a chance it could be off even by a few degrees. I consider an oven thermometer cheap insurance.

P.S.

Welcome to DC. This is a great place where you will meet many wonderful people and learn and learn and learn and...
Old 04-12-2007, 03:58 PM   #20
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Barb L.
I agree, I always use one, my oven runs about 25' deg. too hot ! lol, I use to use two !