Thermometer in the oven? (merged)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hipgrncln

Assistant Cook
Just wondering how many use a thermometer in the oven to double check oven temp? Does it make much difference is the unit runs hot or cold? What brand thermonmeters are best ????

Bob J

In my old apartment I did but that was a really old stove.
When i moved I forgot it there. i thought about getting a new one but I don't seem to have any problems with my stove right now so I don't think it is that important.

My stove really needs to be checked, I've been having problem with it again, have been thinking about geting one to check the real temps, but haven't goten thee yet.

ovens and stoves vary quite a bit, even pricey ones. In fact my new very pricey Wolf seemed so gentle I was concerned...fact is with no hot spots and very even heating, it is gentler and kinder to my food than I expected. Ex: If you preheat to 350 and put a room temp pan with roast in the oven, the temp all around the top of the meat is cooler until the pan gets up to temp. That can happen as the gas or coil blasts on turning red and actually overheating the oven, or it can be a gradual event where the sides of the oven are at temp and radiating heat outwards.

I had an apt with a magic chef that was fierce...overheated and burned everything unless you were really observant. Had a Whirlpool that was a plain jane stove but kept a fairly even temp. And my Wolf is very kind to my food. Agas are too as are Le Cornue ranges.

An oven thermometer of $15 or so should show you the heating habbits of your stove.

I always use an oven thermometer. Our oven is essentially brand new but I learned early on that when I set the temp and let it preheat, say to 350 degrees F, when the oven "beeped" to tell me the oven was ready, it lied.

In fact, the oven was more than 20 degrees from my set temp. Preheating is an important step in cooking nearly everything. A greater than 20-degree difference in beginning to cook something can make a huge difference in the end result.

I wouldn't be without my oven thermometer.

Sure the actual oven temp matters! How much depends on what your using the oven for ... and hot much too hot, or too cold makes a difference. If you have a good thermometer you can always turn the knob up or down to get the correct temperature.

My preference is a bulb type thermometer- they never need calibrating. My favorite is made by Taylor - model 5921 "Commercial Oven Guide Thermometer". Here is a link to what they look like. They generally run about $15 - but prices can range from $12 - $17 depending on where you buy them.

I always use an oven thermometer. In fact, when I first read this question, I was thinking, what other way is there to track the oven temp:LOL: ? I have used many ovens and have always relied on the thermometer in the oven. My current oven has an unsettleing amount of play in the oven dial. Thanks Michael for the picture of a better thermometer than what I am used to.

I bought an oven thermometer to check the temp in my oven and it showed a 25 degree difference. I called a repair man to calibrate my oven and he said it was right on. The thermometer was off. So much for that. It's like getting a second opinion from a doctor. Who's right??

Always use one, usually two, (one broke) that way I can be sure. My oven is about 25 deg. too hot and I usually preheat 30 mins if I need pre-heating.

I have a digital thermometer that I use when smoking meats. I have used that to check the calibration on my oven and currently it's worrking fine. The nice thing with it is has an alarm that can be set for a certain temp. to let you know if your oven is geting too hot. It's also a multi task tool because I use for deep frying and also on the smoker. I actually use 2 out there, one for the smoker tem and one for the meat temp. I got mine at Bed Bath and Beyond for about $25.

JDP

Drama Queen said:
I bought an oven thermometer to check the temp in my oven and it showed a 25 degree difference. I called a repair man to calibrate my oven and he said it was right on. The thermometer was off. So much for that. It's like getting a second opinion from a doctor. Who's right??

You can check the accuracy of your thermometer by bringing a pot of water to a full boil. Water boils at 212 degrees F. Put your thermometer in the water. If it registers 212 degrees F, it's accurate. I do that from time to time with all my cooking thermometers to be sure they're on target.

boiling water

Katie E said:
You can check the accuracy of your thermometer by bringing a pot of water to a full boil. Water boils at 212 degrees F. Put your thermometer in the water. If it registers 212 degrees F, it's accurate. I do that from time to time with all my cooking thermometers to be sure they're on target.

You would have to make sure you are using pure distilled water because any minerals/chemicals/salts change the boiling temp.

;)

DO NOT go sticking an OVEN THERMOMETER into a pot of boiling water to check it's calibration unless it is a "liquid bulb" type and/or specifically states that it is "dishwasher safe". I have never seen a "dial type" oven thermometer that you could test that way - that's why I don't use them.

Digital thermometers should have two calibration settings - a "zero" setting for 32ºF and a "span" setting for 212ºF. This works on a logarithmic scale to get you "as close as possible to the standard deviation" (degree of accuracy)of the thermometer as possible.

Poutine - not only should one use distilled water, they should also compensate for the altitude compensated Local Barometric Pressure - water only boils at 212ºF if the BP is 29.92 in/Hg at sea level. For example, at sea level, if the BP is 28.0 in/Hg (like if a Low pressure system is sitting overhead) the boiling point of water is 208.44ºF. If there is a high pressure system overhead and the BP is up to 31 in/Hg - the boiling point moves up to 214ºF. Unless you're using scientific grade thermometers ... 1-3ºF is within the acceptable normal range of deviation for a good thermometer.

Personally - I use a bulb type candy/fry thermometer to calibrate my digital/dial thermometers.

Last edited:
There is a big difference between baking (i.e., breads, pastry etc) and other kinds of cooking (i.e., roasting a chicken, braising, etc). The former is an exact science and the temps and times are more exacting. I am NOT a baker, and use a thermometer with a remote monitor, and it makes sure my meat is ready to serve, and the EXACT oven temp simply doesn't matter that much.

Katie E said:
I always use an oven thermometer. Our oven is essentially brand new but I learned early on that when I set the temp and let it preheat, say to 350 degrees F, when the oven "beeped" to tell me the oven was ready, it lied.

In fact, the oven was more than 20 degrees from my set temp. Preheating is an important step in cooking nearly everything. A greater than 20-degree difference in beginning to cook something can make a huge difference in the end result.

I wouldn't be without my oven thermometer.

I had the same experience with our oven when it was brand new (and it hasn't changed in 4 years) . Now I don't trust ANY oven temp. gauge, I don't care how old, new, fancy or plain jane it is. I always use an oven thermometer.

Claire said:
There is a big difference between baking (i.e., breads, pastry etc) and other kinds of cooking (i.e., roasting a chicken, braising, etc). The former is an exact science and the temps and times are more exacting. I am NOT a baker, and use a thermometer with a remote monitor, and it makes sure my meat is ready to serve, and the EXACT oven temp simply doesn't matter that much.

I have one of those thermometers, too!

Oven Temperature Question ? thermometer

Just wondering how many out there calibrate their ovens or check the temp of their oven via a calibrated thermometer. I have a new Wolf gas range and am wondering if this is something that I need to do.

Many Thanks

Bob J

I highly recommend getting/having an oven thermometer. I have ALWAYS used one. No matter how "good" your oven is, there is still a chance it could be off even by a few degrees. I consider an oven thermometer cheap insurance.

P.S.

Welcome to DC. This is a great place where you will meet many wonderful people and learn and learn and learn and...:)

Back
Top Bottom