"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cook's Tools

Old 06-19-2006, 08:04 AM   #1
Head Chef

Thermometer suggestions please

I have your standard meat thermometer (not digital) that I hate. I had a candy thermometer (looked like a huge verison of a thermometer your mom would pop under your tongue) that I loved and used for everything, but it broke.

I'd like to get a digital thermometer. I love Alton's, but there is no WAY I'm going to spend a bunch of money on a thermometer...Hubby would have a fit!

Anywho, I would like some suggestions for a digital probe thermometer that wont break the bank.

Thanks!

Old 06-19-2006, 08:40 AM   #2
Chief Eating Officer

What would your definition of breaking the bank be? Alton uses the Polder brand probe thermometers. They run about $30. I have a Polder and I love it.

Old 06-19-2006, 08:40 AM   #3
Certified Pretend Chef

Polder makes a probe thermometer that's worth getting. The probe attaches to the display by a wire. You can set the target temp and the unit will beep when the food is ready. It is also a traditional timer. IT costs about $25.
Old 06-19-2006, 08:47 AM   #4
Head Chef

$25 - 30 is pretty dang close to breaking the bank right now! Sad but true...

Where does one get a Polder?
Old 06-19-2006, 08:52 AM   #5
Certified Pretend Chef

Try your local kitchen store. I have also seen them at Bookstone's.
Old 06-19-2006, 09:02 AM   #6
Head Chef

I'm not sure if this is the kind of thermometer you're thinking of.
Pyrex Digital Probe Oven Thermometer/ Timer.
I bought mine about 3 yrs ago for $19.99 and it has worked fine so far. I didn't do any research. If I remember right, I went to a Bed Bath and Beyond and bought the only model they had in stock at the time.
Look at the reviews on the Amazon site linked above and epinions.com reviews and you will find them mixed.

skilletlicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006, 09:08 AM   #7
Certified Pretend Chef

This is the one I was talking about. http://www.polderproducts.net/ProductDetail.asp?PID=48

The Pyrex appears to do the same things.
Old 06-19-2006, 04:01 PM   #8
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by skilletlicker
I'm not sure if this is the kind of thermometer you're thinking of.
Pyrex Digital Probe Oven Thermometer/ Timer.
I bought mine about 3 yrs ago for $19.99 and it has worked fine so far. I didn't do any research. If I remember right, I went to a Bed Bath and Beyond and bought the only model they had in stock at the time.
Look at the reviews on the Amazon site linked above and epinions.com reviews and you will find them mixed.
If you read the reviews on Amazon, the Pyrex thermemeter seems to have some serious durability issues. Don't know if the Polder has the same problems or not, but the probes seem to be very sensitive if you even slightly exceed the recommended temperature range. Most who had this problem swear that they used it precisely by the book and still it failed, generally within a year.
Old 06-19-2006, 04:14 PM   #9
Certified Pretend Chef

My Polder has been working for at least 7 years. Just change a battery once in a while. I recently had it konk out on me. It started to give false readings and I overcooked a roast. So I tossed it.

Fortunately, S.O. can with one as part of her dowry so I didn't have to go out and buy another.

The lesson here is to periodically check all your thermometers for accuracy so you're not surprised.
Old 06-19-2006, 04:38 PM   #10
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPCookin
If you read the reviews on Amazon, the Pyrex thermemeter seems to have some serious durability issues. Don't know if the Polder has the same problems or not, but the probes seem to be very sensitive if you even slightly exceed the recommended temperature range. Most who had this problem swear that they used it precisely by the book and still it failed, generally within a year.
RPCookin,
Not only did I read the reviews on Amazon, but I posted the link to them you read, and a link to another site that had even worse reviews so Angie could make an informed choice. Both sites also had positive reviews and I have no complaints with mine. I'll point out that a maximum temperature tolerance of 39xF is pretty low See the conversation about At what temp do you roast a chicken? Also the temperature at which your thermostat is set will, at times, be less than the maximum air temperature inside the oven.
As always, your constructive criticism is appreciated.

skilletlicker is offline   Reply With Quote