"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cook's Tools

Old 05-05-2016, 11:34 AM   #1
Sous Chef

Thermometer, use one for all or have 2?

Are there thermometers that can be used for meat as well as candy/confections?

I just bought this candy thermometer for measuring melted cocoa butter:
CDN Candy and Deep Fry Ruler Thermometer - BedBathandBeyond.com

I also have this Polder thermometer which comes with a sleeve marked with meat temperatures:
Polder Easy-Read Instant Cooking Thermometer - BedBathandBeyond.com

Did I make the right decision in buying a separate thermometer for candy? The salesperson at Bed Bath said the Polder thermometer I have should not be used for candy.

Old 05-05-2016, 12:15 PM   #2
Head Chef

I have this one that does both: Chef Alarm

I have the accessory clip that lets you hang the probe on the side of a pot for either deep frying or for candy (I don't make sweets, so I've never used it for that). Click the "More Info" button on the website to see it used for a pot.

I also have a second probe for measuring air temp, so it can be used for checking oven temperatures or for use in in a smoker or grill.

I like that the alarm is loud enough to be heard throughout most of the house (much louder than either the stove or microwave), even for me, and I wear hearing aids. It can be set to alarm for both high and low temps. I use this thermometer almost as much as I do my Thermapen instant read.

Old 05-05-2016, 12:38 PM   #3
Certified Pretend Chef

I think your two thermometers are exactly what you need.
Old 05-05-2016, 01:26 PM   #4
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
I think your two thermometers are exactly what you need.

Thanks Andy! I just spoke with someone at Polder and they said the probe thermometer I have can be used for liquids in candy making, but they do sell glass thermometers specifically for candy. Is there a reason glass is better for candy temps?

Sent from my iPhone using Discuss Cooking
Old 05-05-2016, 02:31 PM   #5
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPCookin View Post
I have this one that does both: Chef Alarm

I have the accessory clip that lets you hang the probe on the side of a pot for either deep frying or for candy (I don't make sweets, so I've never used it for that). Click the "More Info" button on the website to see it used for a pot.

I also have a second probe for measuring air temp, so it can be used for checking oven temperatures or for use in in a smoker or grill.

I like that the alarm is loud enough to be heard throughout most of the house (much louder than either the stove or microwave), even for me, and I wear hearing aids. It can be set to alarm for both high and low temps. I use this thermometer almost as much as I do my Thermapen instant read.

Wow that one looks really amazing...maybe for later when I'm a more experienced chef :)

Old 05-05-2016, 02:49 PM   #6
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitchengoddess8 View Post
Wow that one looks really amazing...maybe for later when I'm a more experienced chef :)

To be honest, having good tools can help to make you a better cook. I was a journeyman machinist before I retired, and I learned the value of good tools. You can often make do with less, but having better tools usually means they are more accurate and more durable, as long as you don't abuse them too severely.
Old 05-05-2016, 03:00 PM   #7
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPCookin View Post
To be honest, having good tools can help to make you a better cook. I was a journeyman machinist before I retired, and I learned the value of good tools. You can often make do with less, but having better tools usually means they are more accurate and more durable, as long as you don't abuse them too severely.
Yep, having the proper tools is especially important for beginners. Using junky tools makes things harder, and you'll end up replacing them more often than a quality tool.

I am not a professional mechanic, but I have a toolbox of SK Tools because they feel better in the hands than Craaftsman/HF stuff. Did you keep all your tools when you retired as a machinist?
Old 05-05-2016, 03:12 PM   #8
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitchengoddess8 View Post
Thanks Andy! I just spoke with someone at Polder and they said the probe thermometer I have can be used for liquids in candy making, but they do sell glass thermometers specifically for candy. Is there a reason glass is better for candy temps?

The glass candy thermometer is a specialized tool. It's made specifically for making candy. Not sure of the reason it's "better". Specialized tools usually are.
Old 05-05-2016, 03:35 PM   #9
Executive Chef

I have an instant read thermometer in my kitchen tools crock, a clip on the edge of the pot thermometer in the utensil drawer that can be used for candy making or deep frying, and two of those 'the probe goes inside and the readout stays outside' thermometers in the bottom drawer next to the stove (one for the turkey and one for the stuffing).
Old 05-05-2016, 04:15 PM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd_1138 View Post
Yep, having the proper tools is especially important for beginners. Using junky tools makes things harder, and you'll end up replacing them more often than a quality tool.
Absolutely! I got a set of cheap Farberware cookware for a wedding present and had a hard time with it for years - burning things in hot spots, etc. With some freelance and birthday money, I bought myself an All-Clad saute pan and WOW! What a difference! I also got good knives and Le Creuset cookware and bakeware - not that that's necessary, but it is excellent quality - and my cooking improved immensely. That's when I started really getting into learning more about cooking and got pretty good at it (she says modestly )