"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cook's Tools

Old 10-30-2004, 07:02 AM   #11

Thanks pst1can.

Now I am torn between getting a NEW FAMILY GRAIN MILL SCHNITZER STONE GRAIN MILL ATTACHMENT HTTP://WWW.INTERNET-GROCER.NET/SHOP/ or the K-TEC KITCHEN MILL on the chart.

I know I will buy one or the other in a few months.

Old 10-30-2004, 08:43 AM   #12
Master Chef

As a member of the LDS church, we are admonished to keep food storage, part of that being whole, unprocessed wheat. Back when I lived in San Diego, the Wheat Grinder of choice was a model called "The Grain Master". It has an adjustable grinder that allows for final results from fine to coarse. The machine is very durable, and simple in both contruction and use. It is noisy. Another advantage of the machine, is that it comes with a crank handle, for those times when electrical power is unavailable..

I don't even know if this machine is still on the market. But if you have any LDS churches in your area (Mormons), they will have updated information on high quality mills/grinders.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2004, 12:12 PM   #13
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael in FtW
I would love to get the grain mill attachment for my KA - but I just haven't been able to convince myself it would ever pay for itself in my lifetime - especially since living in an apartment I don't have the space to store 50-lb sacks of grain.
The KA grain mill attachment is not for volume milling! Nor is it worth the $$ if you go through your whole grain flour fairly quickly or have the 'frig/freezer space to store flour.

It helps me b/c I too don't have a lot of storage space so it's more flexible to buy grain which will keep a long time in the cupboard (the longest I've kept grain is about a year tho I once had a batch of soy beans that lasted 3 years and still made good flour, tofu and soy milk) and mill as needed. It makes it easy to experiment with different multi-grain breads or trying legume flours in bread (try finding lentil flour! I recently milled a little lentil flour from supermarket-type brown lentils for a whole-wheat bread and it was very good).

It is useful if you like to use whole grain speciality flours or legume flours (contrary to what it says on the box, the grain mill does mill legumes) tho as choclatechef points out, you won't get the fine mill of commerical equivalents even if you double or triple mill the flour. You can also vary the coarseness of the flour or use it to crack grain or legumes into pieces. I use it for soy and oat grits and to crack hard wheat and speciality grains like kamut (love that grain!), spelt or triticale all of which are nice substitutes for rice.

They do show up fairly regularly on eBay tho sometimes they're bid up so high it's equivalent to buying new. I hate the current design of the KA grain mill (you may have read my rant in http://discusscooking.com/viewtopic....c&start=20)

When I got it there wasn't the availability of grain products and flours that there is now. Over the years my grain mill has justified the purchase price but I'm not sure I'd buy one today simply on the basis of saving $$. But it sure as heck makes experimentation easy.
Old 10-30-2004, 12:43 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodweed of the North
As a member of the LDS church, we are admonished to keep food storage, part of that being whole, unprocessed wheat. Back when I lived in San Diego, the Wheat Grinder of choice was a model called "The Grain Master". It has an adjustable grinder that allows for final results from fine to coarse. The machine is very durable, and simple in both contruction and use. It is noisy. Another advantage of the machine, is that it comes with a crank handle, for those times when electrical power is unavailable..

I don't even know if this machine is still on the market. But if you have any LDS churches in your area (Mormons), they will have updated information on high quality mills/grinders.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North
I am sure you are right Goodweed, but I found out that on the net, those grain masters sell for $200 plus shipping! I may have to wait longer than I thought for one!
Old 10-30-2004, 01:35 PM   #15
Sous Chef

KA grain mill attachment on eBay

For the idly curious, a "vintage" KA grain mill (the kind I like) is currently listed on eBay

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MakeTrack=true

(I am not now, nor have I ever been, acquainted with the seller of this item :) :D - I'm just a unreformed eBay lurker)
Old 11-27-2004, 12:20 PM   #16

I have made a decision!

I have decided to get a Champion electric juicer, and buy a grain mill attachment!

I like the versatility and the power of the Champion motor, and I have heard the mill will ground a very fine flour -- thanks to the chart yall told me about.

I think I will get the Commerical -- rather than the Home version, so I will have more power.

Best of all, I can buy the juicer first, then later when I get more money, I can buy the grain mill attachment!

Anybody have any knowledge of the Champion juicer and/or grain mill?
Old 11-28-2004, 08:02 PM   #17
Head Chef

I don't have any info, choclatechef, but it sincerely gives me goosebumps when someone takes their time and does tons of research!

WAY TO GO!!!
Old 11-29-2004, 06:19 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audeo
I don't have any info, choclatechef, but it sincerely gives me goosebumps when someone takes their time and does tons of research!

WAY TO GO!!!
:oops: Audeo, I am warmed by your support. Thanks so much!
Old 11-29-2004, 06:33 AM   #19
Sous Chef

What about the grain mill attachment for the Kitchen Aid mixer? If you have a KA, then why not the KA grain mill?
Old 11-29-2004, 06:57 AM   #20

I do have the grain mill Psiguy. It just does not mill a fine flour. It only mills a coarse flour.

I wanted a mill that would grind fine enough flour to be used for pastry and such. The kitchenaid mill does not do this.