Thinking of getting a Grain Mill, anybody have one?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

choclatechef

Washing Up
I figure if I am going to do a lot of baking, I want to grind my own flour.

Now, I have a Kitchenaid grain mill attachment, but it does not get the flour ground finely enough for pastry.

What mill would you guys suggest for the finely ground flour I would need for pastry?

I don't have a mill, choclatechef, but I have a Vita-Mix that I've used often (years ago) to grind wheat into flour. It works exceptionally well, but I'm sure others will have some actual advice for you insofar as mills are concerned!

Thanks Audeo. I have a Vita Mix 4000, but I want a finer grind -- pastry flour.

Anybody else have a suggestion as far as brand?

CC - go to google and do a search on "pastry grain mill" and enjoy exploring the results. :twisted:

I'll get you started with one: http://www.fernsnutrition.com/hmgm.html

I would love to get the grain mill attachment for my KA - but I just haven't been able to convince myself it would ever pay for itself in my lifetime - especially since living in an apartment I don't have the space to store 50-lb sacks of grain.

I did a little research and found the whisper mill to be one of the favorites.

It's certainly not quiet, but from what I hear, grain mills can get very loud. The whisper mill is supposed to produce a very fine consistent grind as well.

hi chocolatechef -

First - I have no experience with electric grain mills (tho I do use the KA grain mill attachment), however...

about 6 months ago when I did some serious 'net research on this very topic, I ended up liking the Grain Master Whisper Mill the best and after that the Nutrimill - both are electric and get good evaluations - the Whisper Mill is significantly more affordable but the Nutrimill has more flexibility and higher capacity (if money is no object :? )

I unfortunately deleted all the URL-s when I decided that something like this was definitely out of my price range, but here's a quick comparison chart to get you started http://www.nutritionlifestyles.com/grainmillcomparison.htm

If you do purchase, let us know what you chose and your feelings about it - I, for one, would be very interested.

Best of luck

Choclatechef...unfortuneately I cannot advise you on any specific grain mills to buy....however another thought for you is on the edge of our city we have an old fashioned grain mill that sells all different types and grinds of flour. Just a thought for you if you decide that you wouldn't use a grain mill enough to buy one. Good luck in your search and keep us posted.

As a member of the LDS church, we are admonished to keep food storage, part of that being whole, unprocessed wheat. Back when I lived in San Diego, the Wheat Grinder of choice was a model called "The Grain Master". It has an adjustable grinder that allows for final results from fine to coarse. The machine is very durable, and simple in both contruction and use. It is noisy. Another advantage of the machine, is that it comes with a crank handle, for those times when electrical power is unavailable..

I don't even know if this machine is still on the market. But if you have any LDS churches in your area (Mormons), they will have updated information on high quality mills/grinders.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Michael in FtW said:
I would love to get the grain mill attachment for my KA - but I just haven't been able to convince myself it would ever pay for itself in my lifetime - especially since living in an apartment I don't have the space to store 50-lb sacks of grain.
The KA grain mill attachment is not for volume milling! :LOL: Nor is it worth the $$ if you go through your whole grain flour fairly quickly or have the 'frig/freezer space to store flour.

It helps me b/c I too don't have a lot of storage space so it's more flexible to buy grain which will keep a long time in the cupboard (the longest I've kept grain is about a year tho I once had a batch of soy beans that lasted 3 years and still made good flour, tofu and soy milk) and mill as needed. It makes it easy to experiment with different multi-grain breads or trying legume flours in bread (try finding lentil flour! I recently milled a little lentil flour from supermarket-type brown lentils for a whole-wheat bread and it was very good).

It is useful if you like to use whole grain speciality flours or legume flours (contrary to what it says on the box, the grain mill does mill legumes) tho as choclatechef points out, you won't get the fine mill of commerical equivalents even if you double or triple mill the flour. You can also vary the coarseness of the flour or use it to crack grain or legumes into pieces. I use it for soy and oat grits and to crack hard wheat and speciality grains like kamut (love that grain!), spelt or triticale all of which are nice substitutes for rice.

They do show up fairly regularly on eBay tho sometimes they're bid up so high it's equivalent to buying new. I hate the current design of the KA grain mill (you may have read my rant in http://discusscooking.com/viewtopic.php?t=3768&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=20)

When I got it there wasn't the availability of grain products and flours that there is now. Over the years my grain mill has justified the purchase price but I'm not sure I'd buy one today simply on the basis of saving $$. But it sure as heck makes experimentation easy.

Goodweed of the North said:
As a member of the LDS church, we are admonished to keep food storage, part of that being whole, unprocessed wheat. Back when I lived in San Diego, the Wheat Grinder of choice was a model called "The Grain Master". It has an adjustable grinder that allows for final results from fine to coarse. The machine is very durable, and simple in both contruction and use. It is noisy. Another advantage of the machine, is that it comes with a crank handle, for those times when electrical power is unavailable..

I don't even know if this machine is still on the market. But if you have any LDS churches in your area (Mormons), they will have updated information on high quality mills/grinders.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

I am sure you are right Goodweed, but I found out that on the net, those grain masters sell for $200 plus shipping! I may have to wait longer than I thought for one!

I have made a decision!

I have decided to get a Champion electric juicer, and buy a grain mill attachment!

I like the versatility and the power of the Champion motor, and I have heard the mill will ground a very fine flour -- thanks to the chart yall told me about.

I think I will get the Commerical -- rather than the Home version, so I will have more power.

Best of all, I can buy the juicer first, then later when I get more money, I can buy the grain mill attachment!

Anybody have any knowledge of the Champion juicer and/or grain mill?

I don't have any info, choclatechef, but it sincerely gives me goosebumps when someone takes their time and does tons of research!

WAY TO GO!!! ;)

Audeo said:
I don't have any info, choclatechef, but it sincerely gives me goosebumps when someone takes their time and does tons of research!

WAY TO GO!!! ;)

:oops: Audeo, I am warmed by your support. Thanks so much!

What about the grain mill attachment for the Kitchen Aid mixer? If you have a KA, then why not the KA grain mill?

I do have the grain mill Psiguy. It just does not mill a fine flour. It only mills a coarse flour.

I wanted a mill that would grind fine enough flour to be used for pastry and such. The kitchenaid mill does not do this.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom