"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cook's Tools

Old 02-09-2006, 06:36 PM   #11
Head Chef

Best kitchen timer we ever had was a wind-up one made in Japan. It felt like solid metal, had a heavy, very sturday feel to it, had a long loud ring, and had a strong magnet built into the back. It was nicely designed too. We stuck it on the range hood, where it never got misplaced. Sadly when I moved out of the house, my mom wouldn't part with it (but she was willing to part with me) .

Then I bought this light-weight timer from Starbucks in the form of a Starbucks coffee cup. It was so cute on the kitchen counter but it conked out after two uses. It was made in China. And so were the two other timers I've bought since. Luckily the last one is still holding out. I'm always in search of that Japan-made timer. But all timers I see now in the market are made in ... guess? China.

Old 02-10-2006, 07:44 AM   #12
Senior Cook

Thanks for the replay but what I want is a stop watch, I have looked at Wal-Mart with no luck.As far as made in the good old USA thing I do not care where it is made, after all America can't afford to make some thing here that can be produced cheaper elsewhere.That's why we still do not work at are entry level jobs any more.

Old 02-10-2006, 08:57 AM   #13
Executive Chef

ITK, "West Bend" company is from Wisconsin, but, the timer itself was made in China.

Guts, have you thought about just buying a digital stopwatch? Those should be fairly cheap, and available at any sporting goods store/department.
Old 02-11-2006, 07:44 AM   #14
Senior Cook

AllenMI
I am going to a BIG5 sporting goods store to day. I can't even find them online, so far. All the school coaches had them, when I was in school. Just not looking in the right place I guess.Thanks for the reply I will let you know if they do not have them, sure hope they do, I like to use a count UP type when i BBQ stakes and also deep fry things like shrimp.

No mechanical stop watches at the sporting goods store... The serch is on...
Old 02-12-2006, 04:39 PM   #15
Master Chef

ITK: Okay - now I know what you are looking for. The problem is I don't know if there is such an animal anymore. RE: Maverick Industries, Inc.- while they are a New Jersey based distributor of Cooking Thermometers & Timers, etc. - it doesn't mean their products are made in the USA from 100% USA produced parts. When it comes to electronics - I can't think of one company that even if assembled in the USA uses 100% USA produced parts. I could send you a schematic to build your own timer - but I've been through 6 electronics parts catalogs and can't find the parts to make it that are 100% American made.

GUTS: you might look here for a bunch of mechanical stopwatch sources.
Old 02-13-2006, 07:58 AM   #16
Senior Cook

Michael in FtW
Thank you for the link! That is what I'm looking for. I could not find a all Mechanical any where, I will order one this week and Thank you again for your help!
Kim