"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cook's Tools
Old 02-07-2006, 07:03 PM   #1
Executive Chef

NOW someone needs a timer! BUT they don't want a timer made in CHINA!! Where will I find this?? I have called all the places I know around here. Sure, needs timer but not bad enough to look for one that isn't made anymore. All these places tell me that people don't want to pay the cost of having it made here. Does this make sense? Complain because no work but don't want to do what normally we all could do. Sorry to sound annoyed. Only want to keep this person happy so i can be happy. To me any timer would do China or no China. I just use the clock on the wall. Thanks for your thoughts. They always help me. Remember I asked about the popcorn popper they ret urned that cause it wasn't from here. I want to give up but this person really has helped me in the past and I do appreciat e it. Guess they have their good points. I don't blame you if you think this is waste of time.

In the Kitchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 07:28 PM   #2
I have no idea where you would find something like that ITK. I think you might just have to go and look at the bottom of every timer in the stores. Good luck!

You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it. Robin Williams
Alix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 07:38 PM   #3
Senior Cook
oh my! Where is Macgyver when you need him? Now I know he could make a timer for you!

The Glory of God is Man Fully Alive!
Jenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2006, 10:29 AM   #4
Executive Chef

Thanks for your response. I really have a challenge on my hands. If I am fortunate enough to locate it, I will surely let you know. Local cooking school here told me to search on Internet. I told her I had done that already. If anyone would like to find popcorn popper made in USA contact Whirlypop here in the states. Program Unwrapped had segment where to find it. This was in January, after Christmas. I understand the reasoning and wish I would be the same way. To stick to your principles and try to make difference. Thanks again.
Old 02-09-2006, 02:13 AM   #5
Master Chef
Well, ITK - not knowing where you live (you didn't post your location info in your profile) makes it a little harder to help you. Due to import/export laws - what I might be able to find may not be available in your country.

Regardless of where it is assembled - I'll bet any timer you buy will have some components made in China.
"It ain't what you don't know that gets you in trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so." - Mark Twain
Michael in FtW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2006, 06:59 AM   #6
Senior Cook
I could use a little help here also. I looking for a count UP type timer, like a stop watch used in running track and field events. It would be a dial type stop watch. Has anyone seen these? if so where...
Guts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2006, 08:26 AM   #7
Executive Chef
I have a West Bend 3-way timer that I got at Wal-Mart for $8. If you don't set a time, but, just hit the start button, it will count up.
Peace, Love, and Vegetable Rights!
Eat Meat and Save the Plants!
AllenOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2006, 09:47 AM   #8
Executive Chef

I do appreciate all your opinions and thank you for it. Michael in FT Worth
I live in St Louis Missouri. In the middle of this big country and looking for something so important but yet unnecessary that it be made in this country. They went to Wal Mart and bought the popcorn popper which stated USA on the box and when they opened it the popper itself was China. I did research all the Google and will try to see about eBay although I feel apprehensive about it since they are reporting people experiencing loss. I share their pain as it happens to all of us. Our faith starts to diminish with disappointment. I will still check to see about this if they state USA. One of the top sellers of the Ford automobile was on the radio and voiced his disapproval of all the plants closing. He has been selling Fords for 48 years! Never thought they would close the Ford plant here. How people are allowing this to happen does provoke my family to get upset when they see this change. They say this is 'free country' but when I see my gas bill, I feel different. These are my personal opinions and please don't get offended if i share my frustration with all of you. I'll get over it.
AllenMI-so you got it at Wal Mart? Was it made in USA? West Bend haven't seen them to much. Really the brand doesn't matter just USA
Thank you all for you interest. They would be happy to hear this.
Old 02-09-2006, 01:13 PM   #9
Head Chef
Send a message via MSN to Caine
MAVERICK ET-8 Electronic Thermometer and TIMER. 25 bucks American at Amazon.com.

Maverick Industries, Inc. is a New Jersey based distributor of Cooking Thermometers & Timers, Specialty Food Preparation Appliances, Home/Office Accessories and Personal Care Items.
Caine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2006, 04:10 PM   #10
Executive Chef

That was fast. You sure this is USA made? They got cheated going to WalMart and this happens again if I spend their money I better be right. Have you had any products from the company?

Thanks again.